Steel wool and... what solution to clean surface rust from cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I want to restore the top griddle to the Encore without using black stove polish. What do I need to use. This has been covered previously, but a quick, lazy search was fruitless for me.

EDIT: Thanks for the fix on the "Whool", mods. I went to correct that and one of you beat me to it.

Wire brush for the coarse stuff, steel wool for the finishing touch.

BeGreen said:
Wire brush for the coarse stuff, steel wool for the finishing touch.

That I knew, but is that it? No liquid application of any sort?

When I shined up the griddle I only used steel wool. Coarse grade first then finer. That was all it took, but perhaps you are dealing with more serious oxidation or rust?

BeGreen said:
When I shined up the griddle I only used steel wool. Coarse grade first then finer. That was all it took, but perhaps you are dealing with more serious oxidation or rust?

Nope, haven't touched it yet. Figured I'd double check first, tends to cut down on the ungodly cursing that escapes my mouth during these projects.

You can paint some navel jelly on it after you've cleaned it up. It will remove and convert what's left. You then wipe it off with a damp cloth.

When I did my Equinox these past two days I used wire brushes of different sizes and a 3" rotary wire wheel on a drill. That got pretty near all of it. Sprayed it down with acetone and wiped it with new rags before applying Stove Bright.

It has a bunch of screws that needed cleaning also. I lightly wire brushed the loose stuff and then dropped them on a spray can cap filled with naval jelly. Left them soak for about a half hour. Rinsed them off under water, let them dry and hit them with some paint.

Naval Jelly has phosphoric acid in it. It eats rust.

(broken image removed)

Naval jelly is a great product, but is it appropriate for this job? I am assuming that the griddle is an unpainted, brushed metal surface and the goal is for it to return to it's shiny brite condition. My concern it that there would be dark spots remaining after the naval jelly because it turns rust black.

You can always clean it up more afterwards with the steel wool. The naval jelly is good for getting into the grain to dissolve rust. I don't think I ever saw shiny bright cast iron.

There is a product called "calix" not sure how to spell it. It is a manifold dressing for cast iron exhaust manifolds. I would post a link but I don't know how. The product is intended to prohibit rust for a period of time on bare cast iron.

The griddle, new, is kind of shiny.
(broken image removed)

I've used stove polish on the Vigilant, and it cleaned it up nicely, but turned it black. I'm trying to restore it on the Enocre. I will try the wool first and, if it does not clean up as expected, I might try the naval jelly. Worst case is that I use stove polish and turn it black, but it would look best in it's original condition.

In the gun world, to restore the inside of steel barrels that may be pitted (like old black powder guns) it is common to use the steel wool with the soap in it and a liberal amount of oil (such as wd40). The oil and soap mixture helps to lift the rust. Clean it very well with plenty of acetone after using this mix.

That looks like a bare, belt sanded surface. I wonder what VC puts on it at the factory if anything? Bare cast iron will just rust again. I would look at that Calyx stuff

I cleaned our Resolute top about once a year. It usually responded well to coarse, then finer steel wooling. I like the idea of trying the wire wheel brush for more serious rust.

"old school" official VC fix was a worn out belt on a belt sander

Status
Not open for further replies.