Steel stove break in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I had someone other than myself do the break in fires in my new regency 2450 figuring it was pretty straightforward. Wife mistakenly didn’t latch door all the way with the initial small kindling fire. . After I arrived home and stove got closer to room temperature, I had a moderate size fire. Stove cooled a bit and Then that night I had a hot fire as normal.
From what I understand, the stove got hotter than it should have. Not really overfired but hotter than a series of break in fire should have been. The paint looks fine. Any damage that can get done to a steel stove with a botched break-in fire procedure like this?

Last edited:
FWIW, I warped the steel baffle in my FPX insert on day one lol. Didn't let it cool all the way down after first fire, then left door adjar too long lighting second fire, with new liner creating extraordinary draft. It's all a learning process. I wouldn't be surprised if you find no damage on your unit.

It's most likely fine.

It’s fine. There’s not really a break in procedure for a steel stove. The paint company will sometimes have some instruction for curing the paint. Break in fires are for cast and soapstone stoves.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
FWIW, I warped the steel baffle in my FPX insert on day one lol. Didn't let it cool all the way down after first fire, then left door adjar too long lighting second fire, with new liner creating extraordinary draft. It's all a learning process. I wouldn't be surprised if you find no damage on your unit.
Honestly your baffle would have warped anyway, they all do.. your procedure had nothing to do with the warped baffle.

The first time I ever heard of breaking in a steel stove was on here just recently. Normally you light a pretty hot fire to cure the paint and then run it. We used a whole wheelbarrow load of wood to cure our paint, lol. We had both doors and all the windows open and it was still over 80* in the house. It was in the 30's outside.

Reactions: webby3650