Started hearth extension.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Ok I finally started my hearth extension. The existing sits about 5" or so above floor level. Rather than build the extension as high, I went as close to floor level as I could.
After cutting carpet/ padding etc out. Have 1-1/2" of dura rock & 16" slate tiles. I extended out 22" x 48" wide. I have the tiles set in the mortar, tomorrow hopefully it will be set & I can grout it. Will trim with a beveled oak prolly. Sorry I am lazy & took no photos. I take one when done. Had a hearth rug there, and good thing too, a few small burns from raking coals forward and a few smalls falling onto it. Didn't get to the real carpet. Now I can toss that thing away. Should make for easier cleanup too.

ugh, burnt carpet. I recently dropped $4500 on new carpet, including the area adjacent to my wood stove. Just happened to see an area rug on sale at Lowes for $10 and put it right in front of the stove. Next day an extra lively log jumped out beyond my required hearth clearance. Ruined the area rug but saved my expensive carpet. Don't think the hearth clearance will save ya every time!

Yeppers. I had a burning log roll out the door last week. To add insult to injury it broke apart into dozens of hot glowing coals and spilt out past the hearth onto the floor. I was scrambling real quick to get them off the brand new oak floor before they left a mark. If you have the room to unobtrusively extend the hearth, go for it. Even if it is only tile or stone on a sheet of durock, once you are past the legal hearth extension requirement, go for it. Unless you top/side load exclusively, someday you'll be glad you did.

Looking forward to the pictures HW. I would have to agree on the hearth rug. Although my hearth is larger than the required specs for my stove, I thought a hearth rug would be a good idea. So glad I went for the rug. Not only has the rug saved the oak floor from a few burning embers, but it keeps the dust and dirt down also.

I did a little research into hearth rugs several weeks back. While there are many specifically made for the hearth, I did not like the styles the manufacturers produced, nor were the dimensions of the rugs appropriate for my custom hearth. My research showed that 100% wool rugs would serve as good protection, so no need for man-made rugs treated with special chemicals. Armed with that knowledge I began looking for 100% wool rugs. This was a somewhat difficult as there is a difference between the carpet pile, and the foundation. In other words, sometimes you can get a wool pile rug with a cotton foundation. The trick is to get a rug that's 100% wool all the way through.

I finally found one on Ebay that was the perfect size for my hearth and a style I could live with. Paid $25 bucks I believe, including shipping. It's more like a heavy mat than a rug, but it has done well protecting the floor thus far. Off season I'll just roll it up and stash it in a closet, and enjoy the intact hardwoods.

-Kevin

When you stash it, put it in a big plastic bag with some mothballs. Otherwise it might have a few more holes next winter.

Good info as usual. I'm just now getting ready to put in a new hearth. Tore out the old raised hearth(6 feet wide, 12" high and 16" deep) I removed the raised fireplace floor and now everything is at floor level - actually, I have 3/4 inch of sub floor removed so will begin the hearth there. BeGreen - we are also putting in an oak floor. So, I'm calculating the clearance from the front of the stove I'm(still)going to buy. OK - probably should have started with the stove - but so many choices. Sounds like it would be wise to add some extra inches.

The extra hearth depth will allow you to upgrade to a bigger stove or more it more into the room as well. Good plan.

Question about stove placement. I'm venting into the fireplace. The Jotul can be rear vented so I assume that with a Tee connector I can have the stove sit just outside the front edge of the fireplace. A Pacific Energy stove top vents so I assume some of the stove has to sit inside the fireplace. So, is there a BIGGER advantage to have all of a stove outside the fireplace? That would also affect the size of my hearth design.

bcnu said:
Question about stove placement. I'm venting into the fireplace. The Jotul can be rear vented so I assume that with a Tee connector I can have the stove sit just outside the front edge of the fireplace. A Pacific Energy stove top vents so I assume some of the stove has to sit inside the fireplace. So, is there a BIGGER advantage to have all of a stove outside the fireplace? That would also affect the size of my hearth design.

I think your will get more heat faster off the stove outside the old fireplace than you wiull with it sitting inside. Any freestanders with this set up?
Oh B.B.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Calling B.B. Cleanup on Isle 9

Status
Not open for further replies.