Staining on ground below cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
I have a cap that covers the flue for the woodstove and oil burner. I’ve notice some brown staining below where the cap drips from the overhang. I assume some smoke is condensing on the top of the cap and dripping. Never noticed this before and am wondering if the cold might have something to do with it.

I’ve burned about a cord since the last cleaning (by a CSIA sweep). Mostly 3 year oak mixed with some occasional pine (all measure <20% on the meter).

Any ideas or cause for concern?

Staining on ground below cap

No worries . . . it's pretty much what you guessed . . . condensation in the smoke in this extreme cold reaching the cold and freezing. I saw a chunk of ice similar to this on the ground this morning. In the past some folks have even had dirty brown icicles hanging off their chimney.

Reactions: NoGoodAtScreenNames
No worries . . . it's pretty much what you guessed . . . condensation in the smoke in this extreme cold reaching the cold and freezing. I saw a chunk of ice similar to this on the ground this morning. In the past some folks have even had dirty brown icicles hanging off their chimney.

Thanks. Good to know this is normal.

I think someone even coined a word for it . . . "creosicles."