Stacking Wet Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, I just had 2 cord of seasoned wood delivered yesterday and wouldn’t you know it, woke up to a massive rain storm this morning soaking all the wood. And more rain in the forecast the next few days. I know this is just surface moisture, the wood is still seasoned, etc. I really need to get it stacked. My question is, can I stack it wet? Or better to leave it alone until we get more sun before stacking? Once it’s stacked it will get sun as well, so I don’t know if it makes a difference? Thanks all, still learning the ropes. This will be only my third season burning. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would stack it when or if the rain stops. Once you get a dry period, top cover it after about three days.

Reactions: johneh
When and if it stops raining stack it under cover or top cover
it, It will dry within a few days with the wind and sunshine

I would stack any wood asap. Doesn't matter if it's wet. The goal is to get it to where it can't get wet anymore. Stacks will give better dying than a pile and top covering is essential if your area gets any significant annual rainfall.

Agree with the above, is it really seasoned? Lucky guy most firewood salesmen in my area "season" wood on the drive over after splitting the day before......
That's funny! I've had that luck with wood in the past also. Never can tell what you're going to get but I finally found someone reputable who understands what a full cord measures at and knows how long it takes to season. So this wood probably isn't fully seasoned, it was cut to log length about 3 years ago, split 6 months ago.

I would stack any wood asap. Doesn't matter if it's wet. The goal is to get it to where it can't get wet anymore. Stacks will give better dying than a pile and top covering is essential if your area gets any significant annual rainfall.
I'm just up the road from you in central NH. In the past I've left my stacks uncovered most of the summer, top cover in the fall after a week or so of dry breezy weather. This has worked, but I might top cover this summer and see how that goes.

I'm just up the road from you in central NH. In the past I've left my stacks uncovered most of the summer, top cover in the fall after a week or so of dry breezy weather. This has worked, but I might top cover this summer and see how that goes.
I think of it this way. The time it takes the wood to dry off after a rain is time that it's not seasoning. A good soaking rain sets back the seasoning by about 1 day. So if it rains 2x/week it will double your seasoning time. If it rains every day like it did least year you'll be screwed.

Reactions: stoveliker
A general comment is many folks stack wood 3 rows wide. Its more stable and takes up less space but its far better to double row stack with an air gap in between the stacks. To maintain the air gap just set aside some long branches that go front to back of the stack and weave them in as you go. They act like rebar in concrete and really stiffen up the stack.

Another general comment is that having wood in logs for 3 years does not aid in its drying.
It's been drying (a bit) for 6 months, and probably poorly so as it was likely in one big pile not conducive to drying.

(On the other hand, I have a shed with 5 rows deep bays, and it dries great - wind blows through the 4" gaps between the rows. Granted I dry for 3 years in the shed as I don't like using BTUs I worked hard for to boil the water that is in wetter wood in order to pump it out of my chimney. I do second the longer branches to stabilize stacks.)

Good chance the wood isn't seasoned if you just had it delivered. If I was a betting man I would put my money on it not being seasoned.

Reactions: FTG-05
That's funny! I've had that luck with wood in the past also. Never can tell what you're going to get but I finally found someone reputable who understands what a full cord measures at and knows how long it takes to season. So this wood probably isn't fully seasoned, it was cut to log length about 3 years ago, split 6 months ago.
Looks like you found your guy, what's a fresh split measuring right now?