stacking of wood to season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but do yall think it's best to stack wood in a single row while seasoning? If so, how far apart should I stack my rows? Tia

I've always done a double stack with a few inches of space between them ... but I also stack outside and the move it into the woodshed after the first year for another year of seasoning. Thinking a single stack would maximize exposure to wind and Sun but may not be as stable as a double row.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
I stack single row in my field. Since it is in full sun, I put them far enough apart to get my mower easily between the rows. That also keeps the first row from shading the second row,,since I have a big zero turn.

Single rows is going to get the best sun/wind exposure, but unless you have a lot of land its gonna be hard to stack 3 years of wood in single rows. I do double rows on pallets so theyre separated by a few inches to maybe a foot depending on split length, and I dont think that wood is gonna be substantially less dry after X number of years as if I had done single rows

Single rows is going to get the best sun/wind exposure, but unless you have a lot of land its gonna be hard to stack 3 years of wood in single rows. I do double rows on pallets so theyre separated by a few inches to maybe a foot depending on split length, and I dont think that wood is gonna be substantially less dry after X number of years as if I had done single rows

Thanks for the reply. Space isn't the problem. I'm on 30 acres. just seeing what the majority does. I still think i may stack double regardless

I double stack and triple stack, but I don't have much room. I am 3 years ahead and that seems to make my stacking deficiencies go away. Single stacks would obviously be the ultimate.

Thanks for the reply. Space isn't the problem. I'm on 30 acres. just seeing what the majority does. I still think i may stack double regardless

In that case you can really do whatever you want. If youre using pallets you might as well do doubles. Otherwise, leave as much space between rows as you want!

If you have plenty of time and sufficient wind I do not believe it make enough difference to mess around with single stacks. I have most of mine stacked 4 and 5 rows deep and it all seems to be drying at the same rate.

If you need this wood next fall single is probably your best bet.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'm with Bob on this one. We usually stack in 3 but have stacked as many as 20+ rows tight together and there was never a problem.

stacking of wood to season stacking of wood to season stacking of wood to season

I envy you guys for your level plots of land
The only level spot I have is the front yard, really not a good place for wood stacks. I tried single stacks 1 time but had a stability issue, the critters can be hard on them as well.

Reactions: tfdchief
The only level spot I have is the front yard, really not a good place for wood stacks. I tried single stacks 1 time but had a stability issue, the critters can be hard on them as well.
That's tough for sure Driver. I always stack at least 2 deep for the stability issue. And although the stacked ends perfectly plum looks really nice, I have found that if I stack the ends out of plumb to the inside of the stack, It really makes things a lot more stable. Some how you just have to get your end stacks going up plumb and then the unlevel ground shouldn't matter.

Reactions: Driver
Out of 5.5 acres I think I have about nine sq. ft. of level property. I stack on pallets leveled with bricks. But I leave space between all stacks.

Here is one of my stacks going up, with the end out of plumb towards the inside. It works good for me. Oh, and that is my helper. lol.

stacking of wood to season

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. That is how we do it here. One thing we don't do though is to stack the wood really tight. It can look nice that way but stacking a bit loose allows for better air circulation.

Yes I have to stack on unlevel ground as well. I stack several rows together and lean them into each other. Starting to opt for having more stacks that are shorter, for the sake of stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.