Q&A Stack Exhaust Heat Exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm looking for a device one can insert in line with a wood stove exhaust stack to exchange heat to either forced air or water. Do you sell or know of such a product? I'm trying to find a way to distribute the heat of my woodstove to the rest of the house.

Answer:

There are such items made- but they have their problems. The biggest concern is that by extracting heat from the exhaust gases- the gases are cooled down too much- resulting in excess creosote and tar in the chimney and formation of corrosive acids in the flue. Also- if your stove is a newer (more efficient model)- then it is difficult to get too much heat from the flue. As far as heating water- you could wrap soft copper tubing around the pipe- and then place another layer of larger pipe around it. A circulator or convection loop could remove the hot water to a tank. But- again- you will not be able to rescue enough heat to heat any area--just help with your DHW (Wash water- etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.