St Croix Warranty Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
Slate West Virginia
My last post I spoke about my glass gasket on the stoves door.

This is what I found out from the St Croix CSR:

1-The gasket is supposed to be around all glass panels and they can't understand why it wasn't. (I can, lack of quality control) so a complete gasket set is to be mailed out.

2- Under their Shabby Warranty: According to the CSR. The 5 year warranty is only meant to cover the stove body as a welded unit. (I am assuming they mean frame only and nothing else.)

Now on the Warranty:

The Warranty (see attachment) this came with the stove. Look closely to the worded area relating to the 5 year aspect of the warranty against defects and workmanship on all steel parts. There is no listing for the steel brick panels or the steel baffle under the BURN GRATE since this is totally two different items within the stove box area. I would think that since the baffle and brick panels had to be manufactured, this would fall under: defects and workmanship on all steel parts. My back brick panel cracked in two places and the usage that I got out of them was just 2 months with the stoves operation on heat level # 3 and running on a T-stat set at 73* I have burned 31 lbs per 24hrs for the last 1 month. The stove would run a max of 32 minutes when called for heat.

Now look at paragraph #5.
All claims under this warranty must be …………..

Then way don’t these parts fall into this part of the warranty?

Now this how the CSR is explaining the warranty me, and what it really means. I see brick isn’t listed, but it has always been excluded in all three materials used over the last 25 years. I guess they overlooked the fact in the warranty that it is now made out of steel. The steel baffle is also not covered because they are parts that break down over time due to the heat in the burn chamber. The five year warranty is ment to cover the stove body as a welded unit.

They (CSR) is telling me that since other parts under the warranty aren't listed, such as the S.S.baffle and the S.S. brick back panel and sides they fall under the consumable parts and you have to foot the bill for replacements.

They have agreed to cover this under their warranty as a one-time replacement because it seemed to break down prematurely in my case.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
St Croix Warranty Issues St Croix Warranty Issues St Croix Warranty Issues

I am sorry you are disappointed with the warranty. I never looked at it in my booklet since I bought used (and 7 years old). I would not expect the brick to be under it, although after only a couple months, would expect them to offer replacing it right off the bat. I just looked at my Harman warranty and it specifically excludes firebricks and flame guides.

I am surprised that the steel baffle isn't covered, at least for a year or two though.

For some reason I couldn't see the second page, so can't see #5.

Hopefully the new brick they send and installation of the gasket that was missing will allow you many years of carefree service from your stove. I really hate to see anyone disappointed in either their stove or the CS they get by a company.

One can get a set of bricks that will fit the Harman from most stove stores for less than $15. The steel panel for the St.Croix is over $200:( Gasket being totally missing should be replaced as is a working issue IMO. The gasket is cheap, the labor is the expense.

One can get a set of bricks that will fit the Harman from most stove stores for less than $15. The steel panel for the St.Croix is over $200:( Gasket being totally missing should be replaced as is a working issue IMO. The gasket is cheap, the labor is the expense.

Hu, didn't realize the brick panel in the SC were that expensive - guess I'm glad that mine, although used, aren't cracked or anything. The steel baffle, yeah, that has got to be expensive and is thick enough that I would think that they could warrant it for at least a couple of years.

I am sorry you are disappointed with the warranty. I never looked at it in my booklet since I bought used (and 7 years old). I would not expect the brick to be under it, although after only a couple months, would expect them to offer replacing it right off the bat. I just looked at my Harman warranty and it specifically excludes firebricks and flame guides.

I am surprised that the steel baffle isn't covered, at least for a year or two though.

For some reason I couldn't see the second page, so can't see #5.

Hopefully the new brick they send and installation of the gasket that was missing will allow you many years of carefree service from your stove. I really hate to see anyone disappointed in either their stove or the CS they get by a company.

bogieb,

The warranty sheet posted twice. They are the same if you can get one of them up.

Disappointed, some what. I spent enough on the stove. Actually it was more expensive than having my Ashley wood stove insert and firebox and chimney put in back in 2000. I got 14 years out of that wood stove and never had a warranty issue. I decide that after 40 years of being a wood chopping chump that I had had enough. I wanted my retirement years,(hahahahahaha) to be a little more relaxing. The wood burner insert had a 5 year warranty on the fire grate and the steel box was 8 years. I never had a problem with anything on that stove.

There has to be some sort of issue with these steel brick panels. I was told that they will send it out when they become available.

The warranty for St Croix really doesn't cover anything that would be needed within the 5 year period. I hope I don't have to go through issues as far as the 2 year electrical warranty.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Bioburner,

If the cost of that S.S. Back Panel is what you say it is, I will find a place that can spot weld the two cracks, and put the new replacement panels away when they arrive.

The gasket I can replace, I just wanted to know from them why it was missing or if there was a reason for it missing.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

I brought in a project Auburn more for my education and had called in about trying to trim down the feed (low is 16k btus)and questioned about the panels and was pretty floored by the cost for a really non functioning decorative part. Getting someone to weld the part should not be a big problem but it is kinda thin. Auburn went down the road to horse hay farmer to heat the mother in laws quarters.

I have the steel "bricks" on my stove, and can't imagine what could go wrong with them. They are heavy steel. If the baffle you refer to is the one above the firebox, ditto. That is one solid piece of steel, apparently stamped out. My stove is over 10 years old, which tells me that someone replaced the bricks before I got it. The baffle appears to be original, having the screw heads hold it in place, instead of the newer style "hooks".

Sorry your'e having trouble, but once it's all worked out, you'll have a great stove. There's no excuse for the poor workmanship on the door gasket. I agree, they should make it right, including installing the gasket!

+1 on the steep cost of the panels - they're just stamped steel with a color coating.

Maybe the stove manufactures should do away with their time limit warranties and place a hourmeter in the stoves operations. The warranty then should be based on hour usage and not by years.

The calculated usage should be based on the area of the U.S. that is the coldest, the longest heating days out of a year for a heating period. Not based upon a time frame from date of purchased, or from the date of installation.

Someone in Alaska would have the benifit of the doubt on a warranty where someone from Florida wouldn't.

Someone using the stove on a T-stat would have less hr usage then someone who would burn a constant 24/7 for a 3 or 4 month period.

There warranty period should also support a limited life (calculated hours) on consumer replacement parts such as the steel brick panels, Baffles and the Burn Grate along with other firebox parts.

They should also state what part(s) are covered under the manufacture's option for replace or repair where the dealer indicates that a warranty claim is justified.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.