St Croix Lancaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
going tomorrow to pick up a used 04 lancaster for the shop. Going to burn pellets in the corn pot. Was told it has not run in 5yrs. But for the cheeeap price i cant pass it up. Anybody have opinions of this unit? Thx Bubba

Good simple stove, corn generates more heat than pellets in this stove. Will need a good cleaning inside exhaust channels I'm sure, recommend lubing auger shaft bushings too.

Well got it home tonight and must say, this will b a project. Auger was froze at both ends. Cracked upper auger bushing. Bad auger gasket. This is even before we plug it in. Still should be a nice stove when up and running. Gonna prolly have it test run tomorrow evening.
JZM, What do u lube your auger with?

I used a thin film of automotive high-temp wheel bearing grease on my Afton Bay. That was about 5 years ago, and the auger is still turning freely.

I usually soak the bushings in a synthetic engine oil, like 10W-30. When I put auger back in I put a dab of wheel bearing grease on top of auger so it would melt down into bushing over time. The top one really gets heated compared with bottom. I pull auger about every 4 or 5 years and still running original bushings from 2004. Sounds like Heat Seeker uses similar method.

Reactions: heat seeker
Got it burning tonight. Does not drop many pellets so cant get much heat out of it yet. Going to put a leaf blower on it tomorrow evening to be certain it is perfectly clear. Both fans work as well as auger motor. Seems the manual shows a different control panel than i have. Mine says nothing about trim settings on heat 1. Neat little stove. Think it will be nice once i learn it. It is in dads workshop so its not critical.

Tell us how many seconds auger feed light is on verses off for low verses high setting. Maybe it's not ramping up off low, especially if there isn't a jumper wire on red and black thermostat terminals (assuming you are not using a thermostat).

Low setting auger time might be 1.5 second on and 11 seconds off, high setting (#5) might be 5 seconds on and 11 seconds off.

A jumper on the control board can adjust these slightly to increase or decrease feed rates.

Can you show picture of which control panel you have?

I pulled this image from the web. The only difference in mine is it had a St. Croix logo at the top. I am going to check the jumpers tonight after work. Im only getting 1.5sec on time on any setting. PO may have had it on a stat and the stat jumper is missing keeping it on idle. Will check that first.

Attachments

• St Croix Lancaster
    st croix board.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 82
It sounds like you're right about the 'stat jumper. If your panel has a manual/'stat selector switch, make sure it's in the correct position.

Dad did a board reset and it took right off! Burning pretty good. Jumper was in place. I really like the clinker remover system. Can discard ashes without ever opening the door. Very cool. Gonna work out perfect for the shop. Thx for all the help.