St croix Lancaster thermostat problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

99tj

Oct 20, 2024
Pa
Enjoying this stove. Burning corn only. Runs great on manual. Figured I’d hook up the thermostat. Ran some 18/2 wire to a

Honeywell Home CT30A1005 Non-Programmable Mechanical Thermostat​

Set the control board to thermostat mode. Gave it 5 minutes. Nothing. So I just pulled out the thermostat wiring from the back I installed. And inserted a jumper. 5 minutes in thermostat mode. Nothing. Acting like it’s on manual still on 1. So I opened the side to check the thermostat connectors. Pulled them off. Re-sat them. Opened the board. Followed the wires to the board. They’re in there good. My jumper wire I checked it with had plenty of bare wire exposed, I made sure of that.
Where do I go from here ?

Welcome to the forum
I do not know your stove but this is straight from the manual
Hope it helps

Thermostat Control. - Most corn stoves aren’t capable of using a thermostat. This is due to the fact that corn doesn’t react very well to sudden increases in the feed rate. A stove that goes from a #1 setting to a #5 setting will almost always have problems making that transition. The burn pot will overload and the fire will go out. The St.Croix corn stove uses a simple time delay between each Heat setting to allow the stove to react to the increase in corn. This allows the stove to function very well on a thermostat. A Milivolttype thermostat will work with this control board. The stove is not fully automatic when running on a thermostat, when the thermostat is not calling for heat the stove will drop to the low(#1) setting as a pilot. For the location to connect the thermostat wires see Figure 3 on page 9.

Manual Here

Reactions: ARC
Welcome to the forum
I do not know your stove but this is straight from the manual
Hope it helps

Thermostat Control. - Most corn stoves aren’t capable of using a thermostat. This is due to the fact that corn doesn’t react very well to sudden increases in the feed rate. A stove that goes from a #1 setting to a #5 setting will almost always have problems making that transition. The burn pot will overload and the fire will go out. The St.Croix corn stove uses a simple time delay between each Heat setting to allow the stove to react to the increase in corn. This allows the stove to function very well on a thermostat. A Milivolttype thermostat will work with this control board. The stove is not fully automatic when running on a thermostat, when the thermostat is not calling for heat the stove will drop to the low(#1) setting as a pilot. For the location to connect the thermostat wires see Figure 3 on page 9.

Manual Here
Ya I’ve seen that. I slid the thermostat whole ways to the right. Nothing. So to eliminate the potential of the thermostat being the problem. I just jumpered the connection on the stove to make it call for heat (increase the heat). This stove doesn’t have an igniter. So it’ll go to idle (lowest heat setting) until it calls for heat from the thermostat. Then it’ll gradually increase till the desired temp is reached. Then it drops back to 1 heat setting.

Do you have your heat setting to 2-5? The way it works is when not calling for heat it will idle a t level 1, than when it calls for heat it will ramp up to whatever you have it set at. When idling the green light will be blinking slow, when the thermostat calls for heat it will go solid green. I burn straight corn and have my heat setting on 3,

Reactions: Ssyko and ARC
Do you have your heat setting to 2-5? The way it works is when not calling for heat it will idle a t level 1, than when it calls for heat it will ramp up to whatever you have it set at. When idling the green light will be blinking slow, when the thermostat calls for heat it will go solid green. I burn straight corn and have my heat setting on 3,
Every time I’ve tried. I started it at 1. I’ll get it to 2 tonight. The slide the thermostat down.