St croix element p

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckw

Dec 30, 2013
Maryland
Hi everyone, I just brought home an element and have run into issues.
the auger jammed 6 hours in. Since I cleared it, anytime I turn the stove on, it starts fine, over fills the burn pot, blinks #5 LED, and turns off. I replaced auger gasket, but made no difference. I verified auger speed is low. I obviously did something, any ideas?
Thanks
Chuck

Hi everyone, I just brought home an element and have run into issues.
the auger jammed 6 hours in. Since I cleared it, anytime I turn the stove on, it starts fine, over fills the burn pot, blinks #5 LED, and turns off. I replaced auger gasket, but made no difference. I verified auger speed is low. I obviously did something, any ideas?
Thanks
Chuck
Additional info.
This happens with smart sensor on or off. I now have some kind of exhaust leak when stove is starting up and just smoking. It is inside back of stove, not pipe. Possibly where blower adapts to outlet pipe. Checked various door seals and they seem ok. I have tall chimney. Also turning damper valve almost closed makes no difference in flame and pellet feed.

Your manual should tell you what the #5 lamp means. My Afton Bay only blinks the #2 or #3 lamps. #5 is a new one to me.
Let us know what #5 means, and we can try to help.

Brand new or used? Brand new I would be talking with the dealer. Can maybe rule out the simple first... Complete reset on controls? Clean Sensor?

From the on-line manual:

The SmartScan Maintenance Sensor - Patent Pending. This sensor monitors the burn
pot area inside the firebox. If it senses maintenance issues within the stove that cause
improper burning conditions in the firepot, the unit will shut down and flash a #5 LED.

Try this first: Figure 22 shows the location of the SmartScan components. Opening the right side
door will give you access to the Infra Red Sensor and the viewing lens on that side of
the stove. With the stove plugged in you know the Sensor is functioning if you see the
small Yellow LED is on. This means the light beam is projected across the stove to
the left side where the Reflector is located and reflected back to the sensor without
any obstruction in between.
Occasional cleaning of the lens will be needed. The lens easily slides out of the
bracket for cleaning. The sensor may also be cleaned, by gently wiping the lens of the
sensor with a soft cloth. Never clean the sensor using alcohol. Do not move the
Sensor as this may knock the Sensor out of alignment.

Opening the left side door will give you access to the Reflector and the viewing lens on
that side of the stove. Occasional cleaning of the lens will be needed. The lens easily
slides out of the bracket for cleaning. The Reflector may also be cleaned, by gently
wiping the reflector with a soft cloth.

Hope it helps...

New, if I cannot fix, will have dealer come out.
Already did the sensor stuff. Similar behavior with or without sensor. I will fix smoke leak first, that is suspicious, I probably torqued exhaust while removing pipes many times.

#5 alarm led is off and stove keeps flashing 5 alarm. Something is blocking sensor, in my case overflow of pellets.

Manual for burn box overflow
Clean stove , done several times, check gaskets and doors for leaks.monlybgasket I touched was augur, replaced.
Doors seem ok by dollar test.

Dealer should be working on this for you as it is under warranty.... Call him;)

That stove has a gasket on the front by the ignitor. Remove the ignitor cover (open both side doors, take the 2 tek screws out on each side of the cover).
There is a snout there that needs a good seal, make sure the gasketing on the back of the cover is hitting the metal snout fully. If it is not, it will cause a dirty, incomplete burn. There is also a sensor bypass switch. Did the dealer get you that? The bypass will allow you to check the stove for regular diagnostics without shutdowns.

On the left side of the unit there is a window for the smart sensor. Inside that window there is a ledge (serious design flaw!) that allows ash to build up. Remove the glass, blow through the opening a couple of times then replace the glass. Look into the smart senor viewing port on the right side of the unit before and after you do this. You will see the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.