St Croix Auburn Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tastebud

Jan 2, 2020
Iowa
I have a 2006 St Croix Auburn stove, it is a great unit but I have my first issue. When you start it up the on/off button blinks and when it heats up the light goes solid green and the fan speeds up. But now the on/off button stays blinking and the fan speed stays low. Not sure what went bad, but thought I would see if anyone else had dealt with this.

Thanks

Are you using a thermostat or manual operation? Blinking green light usually means thermostat is not calling for heat so it just idles in low mode.

I'll have different suggestions to try based on your response, but both are around checking connections on thermostat circuit outside stove and inside cabinet.

I assume control switch on board is in manual mode and not thermostat mode.

Depending on which control board you have, you might need a jumper wire across external black and red thermostat terminal block to operate in manual mode properly.. So check that, along with two wire connectors on inside of that terminal block. Last check to see if those two wires are tight on terminal block on control board.

I have an old control board that does not have toggle that lets you choose which mode you are in. I have checked both of those and one of the wires inside the control board is loose and does not stay connected. does that need to be replaced? Is there a way to fix this without getting a new control board?? I push the wire in, but it does not feel like it grabs or stays connected. I will check it again now and get back to you. Thanks a lot.

Here are some pics if that helps. That wire that I have exposed does not seem to want to stay connected. Any ideas on how to fix this??

Attachments

• St Croix Auburn Question
    20200103_100422.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 203
    20200103_100350.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 150
    20200103_100338.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 153
Ok, that worked on the wire and I started it back up. It is burning good, but fan speed does not increase and the on/off button is still blinking. Any other ideas?? Everything works great, but something is keeping that light blinking.

Alright, I have turned it off, will unplug for a while and start it back up. Another thing I have noticed is that on/off button stays blinking even when I shut the stove off. I shut it off last night and this morning when I went out to start working on it, the on/off button was still blinking. Is that normal? do not remember that happening before. Only way to stop it is to unplug it.

Did you try putting a jumper wire across the black and red terminal block yet? It's the one on the back if the stove used for thermostats or manual mode with older control board versions.

Ok, put the jumper in and started it back up. BINGO, sucker is running good now. Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. I really appreciate it. One last question, If you could buy a 50000 btu or bigger multi fuel stove, what do you recommend? This auburn is 40000 btu and I thought it would keep my 25 x 30 garage warm. It has an open ceiling with two fans, the whole garage is insulated including the roof, but it still does not keep it above 60, even colder if the wind is blowing. Friends told me to just put a wood burner in and forget it, but I dont like dealing with wood, done it before and I like the pellets along with my corn that I have plenty of since I farm here in Iowa. thanks again.

For lots of heat get an enviro MAXX
70 thousand BTU
OR
A MAXX M which is a multi-fuel stove
60000 Thousand BTU

Reactions: Ssyko and tastebud
Auburn burns hotter on corn than pellets, I'm sure you realize this already. They can usually be turned up a bit more on feed rates by moving jumper on control board, but it's not going to make a 40K BTU stove into a 60K one. I've had good experiences with Harman P61 or P68 which are over 60K, PF100 or PF120 are 100K. Euromax or Osburn are 70K units and Drolet Eco-65 is a cheaper version of these units and pretty affordable plus its 65K BTU.

Reactions: Ssyko