SS Flue pipe inside masonry/cement block chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJinsa

Aug 3, 2019
South Africa
Hi All. Very new to this and thanks for the help in advance.

I am building a house and will be installing a closed combustion fireplace insert. It will be bricked in.

What I am really struggling to gather info on, is if the insert has a stainless steel flue pipe (same as what you would use on a freestanding) connected all the way to the top of the chimney, and the entire chimney will be solid cement block all the way to the top of the roof, does the chimney have to be lined etc or can we just build the cement bricks around the flue pipe all the way up and not worry about it?

Please see attached picture I drew.

Attachments

• 81DD34DE-503A-4726-A055-799CDDCA49FC.jpeg
    81DD34DE-503A-4726-A055-799CDDCA49FC.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 78
Hi All. Very new to this and thanks for the help in advance.

I am building a house and will be installing a closed combustion fireplace insert. It will be bricked in.

What I am really struggling to gather info on, is if the insert has a stainless steel flue pipe (same as what you would use on a freestanding) connected all the way to the top of the chimney, and the entire chimney will be solid cement block all the way to the top of the roof, does the chimney have to be lined etc or can we just build the cement bricks around the flue pipe all the way up and not worry about it?

Please see attached picture I drew.
Why are you going to this trouble and expense to build a masonry fireplace onlybto put an insert in it. Just get a high efficency zero clearance unit.

This is in Africa. They have to work with what is available and standard. It's not uncommon to see this style setup in Europe where homes are not stick built. In an old stone or masonry home, a tall stainless chimney might look out of place. Hergom for example (Hearthstone parent) makes several inserts designed for masonry installs that are not standard fireplaces. The ones that I have seen or read about used a heavy-duty stainless liner up the chimney top. We have had a couple of posts on this subject years ago. I'll see if I can find some examples.

I didn't find the manual online yet, but if you send them an inquiry they should send a copy to you.
https://hydrofire.co.za/product/strasburg/
Note that Hydrofire sells stainless flues for their inserts
https://hydrofire.co.za/flues/

We could use a bit more information about the look desired for the home. Based on the description I don't think the chimney needs additional lining if the stainless flue pipe is insulated. Check with local regulations. It may depend on what the house structure is built from. If the house is also cement-block, stone or masonry construction then a single-wall stainless liner may suffice in the block chimney. If the house is wood, then an insulated stainless liner would be safer.

Last edited: