SS Chimney Liner almost to the top?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbatista

Oct 28, 2015
Boston
So I bought a home that had a relatively new Hearthstone Clydesdale already installed. I have a rather large chimney with a blue stone cap. Probably over 30ft. 8/12 inch flue I think. It appears that whoever did the install didn't have a long enough chimney liner and just did the install anyway. It looks like the liner goes all the way up to about 4 -5 feet from the top of the chimney. So the chimney is probably 85% lined. The stove seems to work fine and draft fine (except on warmer wet windy days) but my question is should I consider putting a whole new liner all the way to the top with a cap or maybe trying to connect to the existing one? Will this help the performance of the stove? How much difference would the extra 4-5ft really make? Maybe help with the draft on those windy days. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

So I bought a home that had a relatively new Hearthstone Clydesdale already installed. I have a rather large chimney with a blue stone cap. Probably over 30ft. 8/12 inch flue I think. It appears that whoever did the install didn't have a long enough chimney liner and just did the install anyway. It looks like the liner goes all the way up to about 4 -5 feet from the top of the chimney. So the chimney is probably 85% lined. The stove seems to work fine and draft fine (except on warmer wet windy days) but my question is should I consider putting a whole new liner all the way to the top with a cap or maybe trying to connect to the existing one? Will this help the performance of the stove? How much difference would the extra 4-5ft really make? Maybe help with the draft on those windy days. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The biggest problem I see is that without extending out the top and being finished off properly there is nothing to stop stuff from falling down into the space between the liners. When that catches fire it will be very bad. Pull it out inspect it and if it is in good condition add a peice to it. And while you have it out remove the clay liner so you can insulate it.

The biggest problem I see is that without extending out the top and being finished off properly there is nothing to stop stuff from falling down into the space between the liners. When that catches fire it will be very bad. Pull it out inspect it and if it is in good condition add a peice to it. And while you have it out remove the clay liner so you can insulate it.

Thanks for the response. I spoke to a local chimney shop and they will try and connect a peace to it this spring. It probably won't effect the performance of the stove but should make it easier to clean if they can fix it. He said I'm actually lucky that the liner went as high as it did and that some people only put 4 or 5 feet in How would one remove the clay liner? That sounds like a big undertaking.

Thanks for the response. I spoke to a local chimney shop and they will try and connect a peace to it this spring. It probably won't effect the performance of the stove but should make it easier to clean if they can fix it. He said I'm actually lucky that the liner went as high as it did and that some people only put 4 or 5 feet in How would one remove the clay liner? That sounds like a big undertaking.
You would be wise to get another company or two out there who actually know the correct way to do these liners. Just based on how you've conveyed their comments on installation I'd say they aren't real up to date on actually doing things to code. That is to say that they should have been able to look at this and tell you exactly what bholler told you here.