Squealing noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SueW

Jan 27, 2018
Have a Lopi AGP stove, which has been running fine for several years. Suddenly started emitting a high-pitched squeal for several seconds, several times per minute. Called for repair, guys looked things over while stove was cold, turned it on & no noise until 30 minutes after they left. Repair guys insisted this stove needs NO lube, but husband put some wd40 on auger bushing, and it stopped the squeal for a while. Next tried powdered graphite, which works for several days before noise starts again. Very hard to reach area, so husband refusing to shut down stove, cool, and lube every couple of days. Ideas??

Not familiar with that particular stove, but is it possible some carbon has built up near the auger causing the squeal??

You might need to replace the entire auger motor as the bushings could be shot and may not be replaceable. I had a similar problem with my Harman P61A last winter. I would call your dealer back and ask about replacing the bushings or the entire motor. If possible, speak with Lopi directly and find out if there's a problem with this motor, its average lifespan, its specific bushings, estimate replacement for both, etc.

One other thing, no matter what the outcome, make a point to keep the motor area as clean as possible. Dirt, dust, crud, etc. inevitably build up in and around such areas and making a habit of cleaning from time to time may extend your motors life.

I get a high pitched squeal from my Harman from time to time. Whenever I clean it I spray some graphite into the auger area where it rotates and where it meets the fire box. That seems to work. If your problem is related to bearing failure then that would be a different problem/solution.

Have a Lopi AGP stove, which has been running fine for several years. Suddenly started emitting a high-pitched squeal for several seconds, several times per minute. Called for repair, guys looked things over while stove was cold, turned it on & no noise until 30 minutes after they left. Repair guys insisted this stove needs NO lube, but husband put some wd40 on auger bushing, and it stopped the squeal for a while. Next tried powdered graphite, which works for several days before noise starts again. Very hard to reach area, so husband refusing to shut down stove, cool, and lube every couple of days. Ideas??
We had what sounds like the same issue with our new AGP. Stove sounded like a humpback whale soundtrack after the installers left. Especially noticeable when flame is stopped and only the auger is turning at cool down. The repair guy removed the auger looking for burs, found none. Put the auger and pot mechanism back together. He then loosened the auger set screws at the very back (accessed from the left side) stated that these were extremely tight. He then re-tightened with normal torque. The stove has been quiet ever since. It is odd that after years it started making noise, but worth a shot to re-tighten the set screws at the back?

Reactions: scajjr2
We had what sounds like the same issue with our new AGP. Stove sounded like a humpback whale soundtrack after the installers left. Especially noticeable when flame is stopped and only the auger is turning at cool down. The repair guy removed the auger looking for burs, found none. Put the auger and pot mechanism back together. He then loosened the auger set screws at the very back (accessed from the left side) stated that these were extremely tight. He then re-tightened with normal torque. The stove has been quiet ever since. It is odd that after years it started making noise, but worth a shot to re-tighten the set screws at the back?

I think you were taken in by a zombie post. Last previous reply before yours was 1/31/2018. They probably have addressed it by now.