Spring Cleanup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sr73087

Dec 20, 2016
SW CT
So I did some of the commonsense stuff, but just want to see what I am missing and some info on a few things.

-Shoveled out all the ash in the stove - Should I pull all the firebrick clean out the ash and sand in there and use new sand?
-Cleaning interior stove sides - I still have some buildup inside the stove, what is safe to scrape that off with? My stove is steel.
-I still have to clean the liner, I know in the past most people suggested the rotary style brushes. Is any brand superior? I typically like to buy something good and never buy it again

What kind of stove do you have? I have a Progress Hybrid. Regarding my end of season cleaning, I.....

1. Clean out all of the ash out of the stove which includes using my shop vac to make sure that it is totally clean.
2. Clean the glass
3. Clean the catalytic combustor and inspect to see if it needs to be cleaned in a vinegar solution (instructions can be found in another post).
4. Check all gaskets to see if any need to be replaced. Replace gaskets as needed.
5. Clean the chimney with the SootEater. (The SootEater is very easy to use and can be used from the bottom up instead of from the top down. If you haven't checked it out, you can find it here - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010H5JXA/?tag=hearthamazon-20
6. Do a final check of the chimney and the chimney cap.

That's my normal process. I've also had to repaint the cooking surface this past year. And, occasionally I have to clean (lightly sand) the soapstone on top of the stove.

Hope this helps you with your end of season cleaning....

What kind of stove do you have? I have a Progress Hybrid. Regarding my end of season cleaning, 5. Clean the chimney with the SootEater. (The SootEater is very easy to use and can be used from the bottom up instead of from the top down. If you haven't checked it out, you can find it here - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010H5JXA/?tag=hearthamazon-20

So you don't have any problems with the soot eater making the bend up the stove pipe on your Progress? It looks like you have the top exhaust, not the rear correct? Or do you take your pipe off?

Last edited:
I have a rear exit so I am interested in this as well.

Also, what is best for scrubbing the sides of the firebox to remove the soot but not scratch it?

So you don't have any problems with the soot eater making the bend up the stove pipe on your Progress? It looks like you have the top exhaust, not the rear correct? Or do you take your pipe off?

I bought a soot eater for stove pipes and it definitely cannot make the bend so I ended up taking my pipe off. Not as bad or as messy as I thought it was going to be. Got maybe half a quart of buildup in the stove pipe and about that much in the chimney. It appeared to me mostly soot with just a few shiny black flecks, less than 1%.