Spray or not to spray??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotulf3cb

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
Philly
I'll be installing my BRAND NEW Vacu Stack Chimney Cap and wanted to know if it would be wise to spray the inside of the cap with something to make it easier to clean after it gets dirty? If so, what should I use?
Thanks!

Had a REALLY REALLY nice fire going on Thanksgiving ...... Impressed the in-laws :)

Its brand new ..... I'm wondering if I should spray Pam cooking oil or something like that to the inside so that whe4n it needs to be cleaned I will have an easier time.

Probably anything you spray in there would just burn off anyway.
Though while thinking about it I was sort off wondering if a light coating of graphite powder might do some good but
really have no idea - just a thought..

ripe is saying that oven cleaner is good for clean up after it gets dirty - I have read others think so too.

PS: Please, come back and tell us about the performance of the Vacuustack - I am curious about these.
Are you replacing an existing cap so you have something to compare it to?

You might try something like Clean Deck, which is a graphite based protectant/release agent for mower decks. Since the chimney cap is the coolest part of the system, it might not get hot enough to burn a product like this off. Might be worth a shot. Let us know if you find something that works well for you.

In over 50 years we've never did anything to the cap. Most times when you have to clean the cap you can just tap it and most of the stuff just flakes off. Otherwise, a simple wire brush does the job nicely.

When we put up a new chimney in 2007 we also put on a new cap. It has not been cleaned yet and does not need to be either. When it does need cleaning, it is a quick and easy job. A couple minutes and you are done.

If cooking spray, which is vegetable oil does to a chimney cap what it does to a frying pan it will just turn into a layer of "glue". Don't coat that cap with anything. Rainwater will even wash off chimney cap deposits.

ok thanks! I guess I'll just use a stainless steel cleaner (if necessary)

BrotherBart said:
If cooking spray, which is vegetable oil does to a chimney cap what it does to a frying pan it will just turn into a layer of "glue". Don't coat that cap with anything. Rainwater will even wash off chimney cap deposits.

yep rain is about all you will need, s/s is cool.

Yaron2 said:
Relax and enjoy the heat :lol:

Yaron2 said:

The wife's toothbrush can help you clean all the little crevices and such.

Matt

only if you can get that wife on the roof with that toothbrush !
lol
rn

You've got to be kidding me. I've got to worry about cleaning cap? Now I've got cap envy!

Well this is a first. Better get out the bird poop remover while yer at it. Guano goo is fun stuff baked on.

Seriously, yaron, no one cleans a cap, except to remove creosote build up.

Status
Not open for further replies.