Splitz All

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gutlo

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
eastern connecticut
Looking to get a wood splitter that is non gas or electric and not a maul or sledge hammer. Anybody have experience with the Splitz All or any other similar splitter? Appreciate all input.

That device looks like it's a lot of work, probably more than using a maul or splitting axe.

This "Sun Joe" splitter looks like it would be slower, but way less effort on your part.

I bought a harbor freight version of the sun joe because a neighbor was complaining about the noise from the maul. It was cheap is almost silent, and makes no fumes so I sometimes split wood in the garage and listen to music. The down sides are it's incredibly slow, too low ( I added legs to it) and the ram travel is short. Some times you will fully extend the ram and your log is almost split in a vee shape . Then when you retract the ram the log can slide backwards off that steeply angled wedge and snap shut. You can use a long handled hatchet use it like a lever or froe to finish the split before you retract the ram or just jam a scrap of wood in the crack and throw the log in the wood pile in a vee shape. The o rings in the pumps wear out after a few years and will need replacing. Also 10 tons is not much force. The swing speed of the maul multiplies force so much that I generate about the same force judging by the results. So I still have to dice up a few nasty logs with a chain saw. One more thing on the splitters plus side is that it stores vertical and takes as much garage space as a pair of boots.

Last edited: