Splitter Log Cradle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FuzzyOne

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2006
Central NJ
I just have to give another thumbs up to this log cradle. It has made my splitting time so much easier. I had welded my own, but it was nowhere near as beefy or as large as this one.

It goes by the name of Black Diamond "large". TSC sells the smaller version, but the large is well worth looking for.... I think I paid about $56 delivered.
85bb8aaaf0a67755da29c847ee1c9a06.jpg
052498d2f07de18fb4c23973c65bf107.jpg
2cb9f3e8191f852cb29e9aaca6cff610.jpg
7222aee8c52f83363eadbcc25edbb399.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been wanting to purchase this for my Speeco 25 ton. The Rural King site seems to only do store pick up. I think this is one of the larger tables you can buy for a splitter

Thanks for the info. Did you have to drill mounting holes in the beam? I think i would leave it a few inches below the top of the beam. Where is your’s.

Reactions: FuzzyOne
Very nice!! Also interested if you drilled holes for it? And the difficulty, hardness, of drilling through the beem. Probably start very small and increase bit size.

I did drill holes. It was very easy to drill through. I mounted it about two inches below the top of the beam. If not, it would bend when the wood is splitting. It is definitely a must have accessory.
0ab36e681775a143b4e76c0f94a1d8b3.jpg
10a53b4cce4396b9d2c4e5e4d9c8b88d.jpg

Thanks! Now if I can find it for only $40...

So if you don't live near Rural King you are SOL for this log cradle! I sent them an email and was told they would not ship to me in Oregon. I may hit up their FB page and see if that gets me anywhere. I going to try to get to the nearest Coastal on Monday. I know I've seen Black Diamond splitters there, i hope they carry this too but haven't seen it on their site. Maybe members without a Rural King near by can find "big brother\sister" to pick up and send this rack to them!

So I reached out to Rural King on Facebook with the issue I was having. They got back to me in a timely manner and said that someone would be contacting me to get an order placed. The shipping warehouse was waiting to get stock. I waited a week and didn't hear anything. Sent another message in Facebook, got another timely response. I was told that the product was now shipping to home. I immediately went online and purchased one. Contacting Rural King directly got me no where. Who ever is running the Facebook page knows about customer service!

So I reached out to Rural King on Facebook with the issue I was having. They got back to me in a timely manner and said that someone would be contacting me to get an order placed. The shipping warehouse was waiting to get stock. I waited a week and didn't hear anything. Sent another message in Facebook, got another timely response. I was told that the product was now shipping to home. I immediately went online and purchased one. Contacting Rural King directly got me no where. Who ever is running the Facebook page knows about customer service!

Whats the total cost with shipping and tax?

Update:

Rural King would not supply a shipping quote to my Cali zip code. I entered my Moms zip in Oregon and this quote appeared:

Subtotal $39.99
Shipping $13.54
Order Total $53.53

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
In my opinion, a large infeed table is very important. It allows you to stage your rounds and keeps the splits from falling on the ground.

Mine is 10 ft. long and doubles as a wood hauler and snowplow.

WP_20190731_13_35_00_Pro[1].jpg

The outfeed table is scheduled to be replaced with one about 6 inches wider.

I like putting the splitter in vertical position with larger rounds. No need to lift.... and dont have to worry about them falling on the ground. Or on your leg or foot. Also, having a table wider then the wheels limits storage options and maneuverability through my barn doors. And rolling between the tractor, wood stacks, trailer, rotary cutter...

The table being discussed is nice for $53 shipped. A bargain at $40. Going to make one for $15 with left over materials. It will be no wider then the wheel base and about 24 inches long to protect the motor and hold splits.

That's what I paid. It sounded like from Facebook that the shipping warehouse was out. May try reaching out to them thru Facebook. I just got an email soon after my last post from Rural King to see if I woul like to order the log catcher, hahahaha. Facebook worked much faster!

Whats the total cost with shipping and tax?

Update:

Rural King would not supply a shipping quote to my Cali zip code. I entered my Moms zip in Oregon and this quote appeared:

Subtotal $39.99
Shipping $13.54
Order Total $53.53

That's what I paid. It sounded like from Facebook that the shipping warehouse was out. May try reaching out to them thru Facebook. I just got an email soon after my last post from Rural King to see if I woul like to order the log catcher, hahahaha. Facebook worked much faster!

I contacted them yesterday and they said they will not ship to Cali because of Proposition 65. And because they could not handle all the orders that would come in from Cali. Lame... lol

If I didn't already own the log cradle, I would have bought this cargo carrier I saw today at Harbor Freight. With a coupon, this would be $40. Just mount a cheap 2" receiver to the bottom of the "I" beam. Be nice to remove the whole thing with one pin.
fb4c6f156854128ab07f3120066323be.jpg
c8ad1d39bda3b7b7b619240d50722f2f.jpg

I would go straight to messaging the Facebook page. Tell them you would like to give them money. If didn't happen right away but some one did email me about placing an order, after I was notified they were shipping on line.

I contacted them yesterday and they said they will not ship to Cali because of Proposition 65. And because they could not handle all the orders that would come in from Cali. Lame... lol

So I finally received my log rack from Rural King. The holes in my Speeco 25t matched up to the track but the bolts were too big. Went to the hardware store got some new bolts and got it mounted. It works like a charm when splitting horizontal. Split almost a cord the other day and wasn't having any back aches after. When I have to split vertically I may run into problems. The rack extends about an inch or two past the foot of the splitter.

Attachments

• 20190904_151320.jpg
    20190904_151320.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 591
  • 20190904_151335.jpg
    20190904_151335.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 525
  • 20190904_151343.jpg
    20190904_151343.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 526
  • 20190904_152314.jpg
    20190904_152314.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 513
holes for it? And the difficulty, hardness, of drilling through the beem. Probably start very small and increase bit size.

Drilling was easy, I did a pilot hole on the first hole and just used the larger bit on the second one. I did use a strong corded drill though.

When I have to split vertically I may run into problems. The rack extends about an inch or two past the foot of the splitter.

Time to drill new mounting holes.