Splitter Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
2 years ago I bought a 35 ton Huskee V/H log splitter at an estate sale a couple of miles from me. It is maintenance time. I am thinking this machine is probably around 15 years old (just a guess) as there is plenty of surface rust. There is a TSC tag on it but they no longer handle that line and locally TSC has been no help. From my internet search I am pretty sure I can't get a service manual. I've already rebuilt the hydraulic ram as it just started leaking this early summer sitting in the shed. Now I want to change hydraulic fluid. Filter has no markings and no numbers I can see although it too has rust. Best number that I can find searching the web is #39060100. Found it at 2 suppliers but both said "out of stock". Find plenty of filters that fit a newer model 35 ton Huskee splitter (#390601AO).

If any of you have this splitter or any experience with this machine and might have filter number/crossmatch I would be extremely thankful. Been searching the interwebs for 2 hours now without finding anything concrete.

I've probably split 2 cords of wood with this since I got it but I've lost a lot of big hardwood since out 2023 heatwave and drought so gonna cut some and sell.

BTW, Huskee was acquired by MTD (I think) and is now owned by Speeco out of Oregon. I did find this owners manual pdf but not really any help. It calls the model number : MODEL NO. 21-52382 . B&S 12.5hp engine. Filter has a bypass valve (I think).
Owners manual?

Thanks in advance.

Bring your old filter, drained of course, to your local NAPA auto parts store. They carry a lot of filters. Bypass valve should be in the valving itself, or the filter head mount.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
It's most likely a standard hydraulic spin on filter. A good parts store can check and get you one by seal diameter and the thread size. Do the google on a filter site and you can see the specs, it's nothing fancy just a spin on filter.

Another good source for hyd filters is Surplus Center in Lincoln Ne. Most of those have a 3/4" 16 MTG thread or a 1" 12 MTG thread. Surplus number complete head and filter 9-059, filter only is 9-059-10 or the one with 3/4" thread is a 9-7291-10-18. I have been using there filters and filter heads for years.