Splitter assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
So I just replaced my 35 year old, home made splitter with a brand new store bought. The old one was belt drive to the pump and in gruesome cold weather I would knock the belt off to get it started. Once the engine was warm I would put the belt back on and had no issues. The new one is direct drive to the pump of course and it went to 10 below last night and I can't get it started. Any secrets other than dragging the torpedo heater out there?

You could give it a shot of starting spray. Or, you could drain the engine oil and or splitter hydraulic fluid and go with a lighter/lower weight for winter. Your idea of heating it up is probably the easiest.

I go to 5/30 syn in my small motors that I know I'll use over the winter. Easier on startup for sure. In the summer, most get 15w40. 15w40 gets very thick in the cold, and I worry about engine wear on startup, as that stuff moves like molasses in the winter.

You could give it a shot of starting spray. Or, you could drain the engine oil and or splitter hydraulic fluid and go with a lighter/lower weight for winter. Your idea of heating it up is probably the easiest.

I go to 5/30 syn in my small motors that I know I'll use over the winter. Easier on startup for sure. In the summer, most get 15w40. 15w40 gets very thick in the cold, and I worry about engine wear on startup, as that stuff moves like molasses in the winter.
I hate ether, I killed a snowblower that way. Easier to move the heater than the splitter!

Edit: ooh, the sun is shining on it now..... Maybe that will work. The heater is such a pain in the a$$, the fuel line is really stiff and 15 feet long and the wood shed would require a 50 foot extension cord. AND I only have a few pieces to split, but I and kind of ocd about getting stuff I started finished

Too bad the engine is alloy, I have a magnetic block heater

Last edited:
I've come to the conclusion that it's easier to not have to split in really cold weather. If you pull the cord about 1000 times (and have a sky high heartrate) you may be able to start. I've done it once in 5F. I've decided not to do that again.

Torpedo heater, 10 minutes, fired right up. Ima teach that wood a lesson, straight into the stove!

As for over-revving the ole ticker, I am not concerned, I am an avid cyclist, so I am in reasonably good shape, (4700 miles last year)

Reactions: paredown