Spark coming down the chimney??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

uprising23

Dec 6, 2021
Chesterfield
Spark coming down the chimney??
Hi recently had my chimney swept then had a log fire a few days after ... it's was a really windy day and the fire was really blazing (chimney has a really good pull)then all of a sudden I noticed a lot of spark dropping down the flue and back on top of the stove , can anyone tell me why this was happing is it how chimney fires start?? Really worried has anyone ever experienced this
Thanks in advance Spark coming down the chimney?? Spark coming down the chimney??

Without allot more info I can't really tell you what happened. But that is a chimney fire.

Reactions: EbS-P and clancey
I would not use this system until you have had an in-person thorough inspection, and repair done (because this is not supposed to happen, meaning something IS wrong, which NEEDS to be repaired).

I believe the the flu pipe is only about 4feet long and there is no liner or insulation (the fire was installed by the previous house owner) , the chimney sweep examined the chimney before the sweep and said it looks fine but would recommend a liner

Reactions: clancey
So fortunate you got a small warning instead of your home burning down...If it happened to me I would have st bricks---terrible and hoping you get it fixed real soon with the proper piping...Always wondered what a chimney fire looked like and your pictures were amazing..thanks and so sorry that happened...clancey

I believe the the flu pipe is only about 4feet long and there is no liner or insulation (the fire was installed by the previous house owner) , the chimney sweep examined the chimney before the sweep and said it looks fine but would recommend a liner
So just stubbed up and no block-off plate above the stove? That's a recipe for serious issues. Don't use again until remedied. It needs a full insulated liner after the chimney is swept again.

And unless you are 1000% certain that the chimney fire is totally out and the chimney has cooled down, call the fire dept to have them check.

If the chesterfield your in is chesterfield mo that is an illegal install. They do not allow direct connect systems like that.

And yes as bholler stated that is a chimney fire.

My best guess is they cleaned the flue from the top and didnt pull the block off plate and clean all the crap that dropped on it. Once you started the fire it lit the crap on top of the block off plate.

Reactions: MR. GLO and clancey
That is the problem. Incorrectly installed and very unsafe. IF there was a block off plate at least the burning embers would not be falling into your house (but still wrong) and you have a HUGE open hole letting heat out of your house and most of the draft is not pulling through the stove but around it.

And get a new chimney sweap that knows what he is doing!

That would be my guess as to the problem then.