Sooteater lubrication?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
Does anyone find it helpful to lubricate the ends of the rods? They aren't hard to put together, but getting them apart is a bit too challenging without 3 hands.

I have no issue with taking them apart. I use a short old Allen wrench to press the spring loaded button and then rotate the rod I want to take off to avoid the button popping back up.

Does anyone find it helpful to lubricate the ends of the rods? They aren't hard to put together, but getting them apart is a bit too challenging without 3 hands.
My soot eater does get a bit sticky when trying to press the button on the rods to detach. I don’t know how lubrication might work. I wonder if having them a bit difficult to remove is better than not. It’s a once (or twice) a year project for me, so not worth too much tinkering.

Does it still come with the little Allen wrench tool with a pointed end to press the button?

I do find they get jammed. Have to twist and wiggle pretty hard, then the button will go down. I have been meaning to try some anti seize or grease of some kind but I haven't done it yet.

Does it still come with the little Allen wrench tool with a pointed end to press the button?

It does come with sn Allen wrench that is small enough to press the button. Don't know whether it's pointed.

I WD-40 mine. Prevents corrosion stored for a year too.

I found the tight ones that were difficult to release had the black fiber rod inserted too far into the metal coupler. They needed to be pushed together tightly to align the locking pin, since they bottomed out, and we’re difficult to release. I removed the excess fiber in the socket with a bottoming drill bit. Most won’t have such a bit, so sandpaper on the end of a dowel may need to be used. Worked much better after providing a little clearance at the bottom of connector. 2 out of all of them was like that. Mine’s an old one, they may have taken care of the issue.

Mine aren't soot eater rods but I hit them with wd40 or liquid wrench about once a month

I use spray silicone on mine. Works great and doesn't have any oils to attract soot and dust.

I WD-40 mine. Prevents corrosion stored for a year too.

I found the tight ones that were difficult to release had the black fiber rod inserted too far into the metal coupler. They needed to be pushed together tightly to align the locking pin, since they bottomed out, and we’re difficult to release. I removed the excess fiber in the socket with a bottoming drill bit. Most won’t have such a bit, so sandpaper on the end of a dowel may need to be used. Worked much better after providing a little clearance at the bottom of connector. 2 out of all of them was like that. Mine’s an old one, they may have taken care of the issue.
I think the more modern ones don't have that issue; I have the white rods and there is a little rim in there that prevents them being pushed in the way.

Also, except for the button (and the spring), the metal part is aluminum on mine, I believe. So corrosion should not be a big issue.

I just use my 3rd hand. I don’t understand why y’all are having an issue.

Dry lube doesn’t attract dirt. I wouldn’t hesitate to use some if needed.

Reactions: jmb6420
I clean the rods after cleaning the chimney and for the ends I'll spray WD40 on some paper towels and clean the ends off, works nice.

Reactions: jmb6420