Soot on Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rafter2S

Sep 22, 2016
oregon
I seem to be getting terrible soot on my glass. The gasket for the door is two years old and seems to be in good shape. I was wondering what else might be causing this soot build up.

The pictures are from running 1-1.5 bags through it since the last cleaning. The soot seems to start building on glass pretty quick after the stove reaches the and the fans come on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soot on Glass Soot on Glass

I would try a different brand of pellets.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Jackman, I hadn’t even though about my pellets. It is a different brand then I normally buy. I have always had a little bit of soot on the glass but seems to be worse lately.
Thank you I will buy a different brand next time.

Biggest thing I have found for soot build up is correct airflow. If the vent is getting dirty or there isn't enough fresh combustion air it happens pretty quick.

Pellet quality can make a difference too. I currently don't have a good storage place for a bunch of pellets so I buy some every week to two weeks. They don't always have the best quality ones available. The ones I currently have seem to ash more and soot things up quicker than the previous brand.

I have also noticed that I get more soot if the stove runs on low a lot. If it ramps up to a higher setting the glass usually stays cleaner.

Have you done the dollar bill test on your door gasket (when the stove is cold)?

No I have not, I will do that this evening.

I had an issue with smoke and figured out the door was leaking near the latch. I had to go digging around the Internet to find an antique manual for my stove that showed how to adjust the door latch so it would latch tighter. Fixed the problem. Not sure why the current manuals don't give you this information.

I had an issue with smoke and figured out the door was leaking near the latch. I had to go digging around the Internet to find an antique manual for my stove that showed how to adjust the door latch so it would latch tighter. Fixed the problem. Not sure why the current manuals don't give you this information.
It looks by there the soot is coming from I was thinking the bottom of the glass but not positive to correct procedure on sealing that glass in the bottom.

I took the glass out and there is gasket all around it but in the bottom, should there be a gasket on the bottom?

Attachments

• Soot on Glass
    20DB0E71-4B07-4C3C-8A86-B5C83251C7A4.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 109
Obviously not as there is no channel to put a rope gasket in....

My advice is what I tell everyone that gets fly ash or soot on their glass (just like I do), get yourself a cheap natural bristle paintbrush (I use a 1" wide chip brush from Harbor Freight (10 for 5 bucks) and brush the glass with the paintbrush when it gets dirty. I brush mine a couple times a day. Do it with the stove running no issue. Takes about 30 seconds. Do not use a plastic bristle paintbrush, it will melt on the glass. A natural bristle brush won't. I go through 2 every season because I used the to sweep the ashes into the ashpan as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rafter2S