Soot coming from pipe on fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jandreau.Tori

Jan 20, 2023
US
Soot coming from pipe on fireplace
Hello all, unsure of where else to post this. Is this normal? Had the front door open for a bit and it got smoky

It's not normal. How long was the stove door open for? When was the flue system last cleaned?

Was the ceiling clean before this? FWIW we have been burning for 16 years with a similar setup and there is no soot on the ceiling. What stove is this? Has it been hard to get a fire going in it this season?

The ceiling had a little bit off soot on it before, nothing like before tonight. Im not sure what stove it is as it came with the house and I dont see a brand anywhere. It has been very very hard to get a fire going and its been particularly rainy (sometimes have to use a bit of damp wood.)

I don't think that has anything to do with what wood wet or not. I'd want to pull that pipe down and inspect the chimney connector. Should not be getting soot up there.