Something I wonder About

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I read on here often about people dickering back and forth over a couple hundred dollars for a chainsaw or I only want one saw to do it all and it needs to cost 25 bucks. But they will spend 2-3K on the stove and 1-2K on the splitter. Isn't the saw just as important a piece to the puzzle?
Guess I'm an odd ball since the saws is where I've tied up most of the money in this burnin wood thing. I mean if your going to operate a top of the line stove whats with going to Sears for your saw?
I'll bet 7 out of 10 Woodstock or Hearthstone owners who cut their own wood do it with a 200.00 saw.

And if they are happy with it the problem is?

I have saws from the electric up to the 65cc Pioneer P39/Poulan Pro 405 Plus. Most times anymore my go to saw is the little Husky 142. Light, low vib, high winding little banshee. Thirty more seconds in the cut is a non-event to me and the thing cost me $99 brand spanking new. So I bought two. Out of the box the second one is the parts saw. If it keeps doing what it is doing now the Chusky 52cc will be the new go to. $94 delivered.

BrotherBart said:

I have saws from the electric up to the 65cc Pioneer P39/Poulan Pro 405 Plus. Most times anymore my go to saw is the little Husky 142. Light, low vib, high winding little banshee. Thirty more seconds in the cut is a non-event to me and the thing cost me $99 brand spanking new. So I bought two. Out of the box the second one is the parts saw. If it keeps doing what it is doing now the Chusky 52cc will be the new go to. $94 delivered.
Holy Sh*t 30 secs MORE in the cut. Jeeeze if I cut anything that took 30secs total I would be looking for more saw and that includes 36" rounds. Guess it depends on what forum your on. Over here its all about fancy stoves. Start talkiing Husky 142 over at Arboristsite and see how far the thread goes......about as far as an Elm thread over here.

I spend time on A/S. A few of those guys lust after Old Yaller and her brother the 655. :lol:

Different folks with different priorities. What makes da world go round. Might say different 2 strokes for different folks.

Its not a contest with me,I couldn't give a rat's ass personally.I've been working in the woods for 31 yrs,since I was 17,worked for local tree service from 18 to 20 then started in commercial construction as my career.Working in the woods helps keep me in shape,saves me money (and makes some spare cash when I do custom cutting or sell wood I milled on the side).

Its just another hobby.Long as my saws & equipment are running good,thats all that matters to me.Whether I'm climbing/pruning,bucking/splitting,or dropping a big one I got what works well for ME.

I keep a litte Craftsman branded Poulon 42cc saw for limbing and my MS290 for bucking. Both work and I can use them both for most jobs. I like my Stihl, but for the price point, the poulon has its place.

Matt

Thinking about it we spend a lot more time with and looking at and operating the stoves than we do with the saws. And wives don't care what the saw is or looks like. The stove is a whole nother thing.

After I left home, Dad bought himself a chain saw.
My first chain saw was an $89 on sale, 16" Sears auto sharp. Man did it cut wood fast, noisy though :)
Still have it, still runs, still cuts wood allot better & faster than the bow saw. ;)
Now a good back up saw.

Dunno what to say. My one saw plan has been working for me for decades. I bought my Partner new and it doesn't owe me a dime, still starts easy, and runs well.

I'm with you brother. After researching a product purchase to death, I end up buying the best quality I can afford. From what I read here most of the guys that buck there own wood end up with good high end saws. A few that buy wood and cut up small amounts get by with these low cost saws. I think if they tried a good saw they would never use the Sears saw again.

Sometimes it's just the way things are.
Heck, my stove is worth more than my car - the same car that drove it home I might add.
But xman is also on to something - many folks don't know crap saw from good saw from fantastic saw.

Agent said:
But xman is also on to something - many folks don't know crap saw from good saw from fantastic saw.

I cut a lot of trees with a couple inexpensive saws. I didn't know the difference between a cheap saw and a really good saw for years (had never ran a really good saw). I like my Stihls but would not hesitate cutting firewood with the old Poulan. My thinking is that a $100-$150 saw that runs good is better than no saw at all.

To each their own.

I couldn't stomach dropping a G on a new saw when i got a good used 361 for $300, much in the same way others couldn't stomach a spending $300 on a scratched up saw when they can get a brand spankin new one, with a warranty, from a box store for $150. Not everyone has the same value system.

For me, anything over a G on a stove seems silly, but then again i just dropped 4x that on a quad to (help) move the wood out of the woods and to the stove.

To each their own. Different value systems.

I've been thinking about getting a new saw, but can't think of a good reason to. My 10-year old 14" Craftsman that I got at OSH for ~$100 has cut everything I've needed and still starts up in a few pulls. Note: I fall maybe one tree a year; most of its use is limbing and bucking.

wkpoor said:
I mean if your going to operate a top of the line stove whats with going to Sears for your saw?
For me, a saw from Sears still gets the wood cut, and doesn't need to look good to get it done. A woodstove (as a major appliance in one's living space) should look good and burn well; cheap stoves aren't as likely to excel at both of these. I think a number of people here fall into the 'enthusiast' category, which includes buying high-end equipment and getting every ounce of performance out if it. For example, I have well over a grand sunk into my computer video card (which includes slight modifications to my home) for the sole purpose of playing video games. One can surely play a great game with the on-board video from a computer, but I'm an enthusiast. I cut wood with a Craftsman toy, but some members are enthusiasts.

I wonder the same thing - $5K+ on a stove (including install) but absolutely no more than $300 when saw shopping.

wetwood said:
Agent said:

I cut a lot of trees with a couple inexpensive saws. I didn't know the difference between a cheap saw and a really good saw for years (had never ran a really good saw). I like my Stihls but would not hesitate cutting firewood with the old Poulan. My thinking is that a $100-$150 saw that runs good is better than no saw at all.

i didn't know there was that much of a difference either after running a good saw, now i just hope i never run one bigger than my ms362. i hope it is all i need.

BrotherBart said:

I just sold a 142 that was a 2006 model for $110.00. You did get a good deal on yours. It cut like a demon for the small saw it was, Randy

To me, it's always about enjoying vs. tolerating the chore. I enjoy cutting wood with a saw that starts every time and doesn't need to be finessed. I enjoy splitting wood without having to bust up my back and shoulders. That being said, the difference between a stove, which one sees and uses every day, and a saw, which one uses maybe once a week, can be important.

S

I've been running my Dolmar 510 for the past 3 years. I've cut about 25 cord with it, and can't complain. It feels good to run, and since I've gotten better at sharpening, it bucks fairly fast. I would like a second saw, just for those times when I pinch the bar, etc., but........what I have works and I try to only spend big $ when I have to. I wish I were more mechanically savvy - would like to buy used saws and fix them up, but.......I need a lot of education in small engine repair, etc. Cheers!

I've got more in my chimney than I do in my saws. As long as I've got a decent saw to get the job done, I am pretty patient waiting for a deal to come along on another one. I'd rather spread the money around on other tools to make the job easier than have the latest and greatest saw. Maybe some day.

I can't afford cheap tools. That said- I have a 260 that has done all I have asked of it and runs through my abuse (bought new 9 years ago). I think you can buy a used Stihl saw and still have more than you need for cheap.

I agree its different strokes for different folks. I guess whatever is most important to you. An other example would be where I don't understand when someone tows a beat up rusted down crappy trailer behind a 50K new decked out diesel truck. I'm the guy with the panel van towing the 12K real nice trailer. We all have priorities.

It also makes a big difference if you are making money with your tools. Mine just save me time, effort and paying someone else to do stuff that requires the tools. So getting in the game with something functional is a lot more important than looking good. None of my stuff was slouch equipment when new, it just went around the block a few times before I bought it and in most cases used more than loved. Now, if it were an option, I know how I would spend the money and it wouldn't take long to do it ;-)

Singed Eyebrows said:
BrotherBart said:
Most times anymore my go to saw is the little Husky 142. Light, low vib, high winding little banshee. Thirty more seconds in the cut is a non-event to me and the thing cost me $99 brand spanking new. So I bought two. Out of the box the second one is the parts saw. If it keeps doing what it is doing now the Chusky 52cc will be the new go to. $94 delivered.
I just sold a 142 that was a 2006 model for $110.00. You did get a good deal on yours. It cut like a demon for the small saw it was, Randy

The short version. Looking for a small saw. See that Lowe's has the 142 online for $99. Doesn't make sense because it usually sells for over $200. Call the number and tell the woman that there must be a mistake on the online price of $99 and $5.00 shipping. She gets real gruff and says "Sir the online price is what the price is.". I ask it she wants to check it and she says "Sir is there anything else I can help you with." with attitude. I said yes place an order for me for two of them.

They arrived three days later. After they shipped the sale price magically went back to $199.

For me it's been a learning progression and not just a matter of making a decision to go cheap on a saw. I started with an Echo, stepped up to a Farm Boss, and will probably step up further to a must faster saw. I plan on owning a collection some day. The progression also relates to having more power and bar size to tackle bigger scrounges.

I usually won't buy unless I am getting a deal. I never pay full price retail, regardless of how bad I want it. As for dropping a grand into a saw, I'd rather keep my eye open for the same saw USED for much less. I've got other habits (Like fishing) where I'd rather dump that kind of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.