Something Doesn't Add up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Question,

We're honing in on a stove purchase for our basement, but ran into a question about vertical clearances on the PE Alderlea T6 (http://www.pacificenergy.net/alderlea/pdfs/AL6B-030512-20.pdf)

Is there a vertical clearance requirement? If you read the documentation, on page 9 it seems to indicate that you need 56 1/2" from stove top to ceiling. What doesn't add up is that it also says that you need a 7' ceiling minimum. The stove itself is 29 13/16" tall, which means if the 56 1/2" clearance number is true you would need (56 1/2+29 13/16=86 5/16") ceilings, which is greater than 7', especially if you add the thickness of the hearth pad.

My net question is...if I have 7'+ ceilings throughout the basement (right above the stove there are two ceiling heights as a knotty pine covered hot air vent is over about 1/2 of the hearth leaving a 7' 4" ceiling height with 8' 3" ceiling heights elsewhere) am I okay? FYI if it matters...this isn't a mobile home install.

Thanks,
Justin

84" is a pretty typical standard. It sounds like you are right on the edge. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The T6 is not highly radiant except from the front of the stove. If you want to be totally safe, put a ceiling shield up over the stove on 1" spacers leaving an open air space behind it. The shield can be sheet metal or cement board.

The shield won't be needed, BG. The T6's overall height of 29-13/16" is measured to the top of the flue collar: the ceiling clearance of 56-1/2" is measured from the hot spot, the cooktop under the cooking trivets, which is 27-1/2" above the floor. So, floor to cooktop (27-1/2") plus minimum overhead (56-1/2") = 84", or 7 feet.

Seems to me the minimum ceiling height requirement might only apply to alcove installations. Yea/ Nay? :rolleyes:

Tom - are you sure?;lol;lol

Depends on the height of the hearth, no? Though considering the stove only needs ember protection it doesn't need a lot under it.

Seems to me the minimum ceiling height requirement might only apply to alcove installations. Yea/ Nay? :rolleyes:

Nay. In this case PE specifically calls out room height.

[Hearth.com] Something Doesn't Add up

Depends on the height of the hearth, no? Though considering the stove only needs ember protection it doesn't need a lot under it.

Dat be true, but the OP stated 7+. OP - can we assume the + is beyond the thickness of the hearth requirements?

Yep, I be just talking generalities here. In the Op's case I think he is fine.

Tom - are you sure?;lol;lol

Jags, I'm always sure. Just not always right. So I double-checked.

In a non-alcove installation, all Arnottridge is going to need is 7' even, measured from his hearth surface. The original post mentions a height of 7'4" on the low side, so the hearth can be as much as 4" thick (it only needs to be 1/4" thick).

Nay. In this case PE specifically calls out room height.

Interesting. That means in some cases you couldn't put these stoves up on a raised hearth if you wanted to.

Thanks...I didn't realize that the measurement was to the hot spot...that makes more sense. In that case, even with my hearth pad, I would be around 1" more than the requirement to my lowest ceiling. Just wanted to make sure.

Interesting. That means in some cases you couldn't put these stoves up on a raised hearth if you wanted to.

True, that could be a blocking issue in certain cases. Though they do give a bit of wiggle room on the prior page regarding clearances:

"Clearances may be reduced with various heat insulating materials. Consult local fire codes and authorities for approval."

Status
Not open for further replies.