Some pics and some ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieran

Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2006
Manchester, MD
Thanks Willhound for the resizing info!!

These pics show the water pipes that go into my stove. I'd like to disconnect the stove from the water and just use it as a regular stove. Is that possible? It's called a hydro-heate and manufactured in 1980. The company doesn't do stove anymore so it's been really hard to find info on it. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• Some pics and some  ??
    Picture 105.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 489
  • Some pics and some  ??
    Picture 106.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 493
  • Some pics and some  ??
    Picture 107.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 486
The second and third pics show the pipes rinning into the stove.. can these be disconnected fron the water supply and the stove still be useable??

Just my opinion, but I would take a close look at how the stove is set up. If there is some component...say a coil or water jacket setup...inside the stove that was designed to always have water in it, it might not like being burned dry. The water would keep the surfaces at no more than about 212F degrees, or maybe slightly higher (230-250 ish) if the system is pressurized. With no water, internal stove temps could easily be 1,000F or higher which is a considerable jump.

Corey

It needs to be evaluated. Can't tell anything from your photos. It may be as simple as deleting the stove and looping the pipe, but there certainly can be more involved. This heated water goes out to radiators? What will heat the water once disconnected from the stove? What's wrong with leaving it hooked in?

If you feel uncomfortable evaluating the situation, it would be wise to get a professional opinion, even if you plan to do the work yourself.

-Kevin

This heated water goes out to radiators? What will heat the water once disconnected from the stove? What’s wrong with leaving it hooked in?

Yes, the heated water gets puched to the radiators. I have an oil furnace that heats my water. The reason that I don't want to leave it hooked up is because if the power goes out I'm screwed with no heat. The stove can't run without the circulator on.

BUT.. I did manage to get intouch with someone in PA that is familiar with this stove and said that unhooking and draining it was in fact ok.

Sounds like you got your answer. That's good. I'm in the same boat, I've got a forced air oil furnace, but no electrcity = no heat. Just one of the many reasons I'm putting in a wood stove this year. You could of course get a generator to back up the circulator, but there's a rub to that option as well.

Now Kieran, can we talk you into getting a little bit newer stove? That stove looks like a monster.

-Kevin

Now Kieran, can we talk you into getting a little bit newer stove? That stove looks like a monster.

LMAO! Yes, it's a monster. I will get a new stove, hopefully by next winter. Mr. Kieran is in Afghanistan right now and freaks out because I'm a total diy'er and am going to attemp doing a new liner myself with the help and support of a local store here. So if I told him that I was going to install a new stove myself he would chit. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.