Sold the house- need to start over with a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
After being in too big of a house for just me and my dogs for 15 years now soI decided to sell the place and move a few miles from here where I can build a pole shed for my lawn car business and pay less taxes than I do on this lake place I’m now in. I bought a smaller place I’ve been mowing for 2 years now that’s been vacant due to a divorce and I’ll have to put in a new wood stove before winter but it will be pretty straight forward I think, the chimney will go straight up and out the 4/12 roof and I’ll probably go with a practical lower cost 2+ CF Drolet again since I get one for around $800 with tax and around $300 for the double wall stove pipe and class A chimney.... it’ll be a easier install than the one I did at this house since I had to go up a fireplace chase with a 10 internal stove pipe then a 90 into the chase and connect the pipe to 14 feet of class A chimney and then skimming across a 10/12 roof to go out the top of the chase cap. Agh.... but I had to move all of my dry split wood... lots of it. Around 8 full cords I’d guess, and I will have to double handle it since I had to put it all on a buddies land and then move it again after I move into the new place. The only way I’ll be moving out of the next house is in a body bag I swear! Lol....

It’s tough growing up! I’m considering restacking several cords myself.

Good job rightsizing your home.

How do you plan on getting a full double wall pipe and chimney setup for $300?

drolet HT2000. It works well.
Even though it can get very cold up here, close to -40::F at times a HT2000 would be too big for the smaller place I’m buying. I’m thinking a Escape 1800 would be plenty big. I heated the house I’m selling which is bigger but it has 6" walls with a similar wood stove.

Does that seem too low? I don’t know- it’s been some time since I shopped for double wall and class A, too bad I didn’t buy the new 6" class A chimney pieces I saw at a donation store similar to a Goodwill. They had a bunch of new 3’ pieces there for only $20 each. And the had some 8" stuff and a s***load of pellet stove stuff too, not that I’d be interested in any of that. This was 2 months ago and when I looked at all of it I remember thinking.... WTH would I do with chimney stuff when I don’t really need it....lol

Anyways I don’t think it will take many pieces to install the stove, time will tell- I’ll know more when I tackle the project in late September or so.

Edit... OK- I just looked on The Menards app and I’m now thinking the chimney system will be more like $500-$600... agh.

Last edited:
Does that seem too low? I don’t know- it’s been some time since I shopped for double wall and class A, too bad I didn’t buy the new 6" class A chimney pieces I saw at a donation store similar to a Goodwill. They had a bunch of new 3’ pieces there for only $20 each. And the had some 8" stuff and a s***load of pellet stove stuff too, not that I’d be interested in any of that. This was 2 months ago and when I looked at all of it I remember thinking.... WTH would I do with chimney stuff when I don’t really need it....lol

Anyways I don’t think it will take many pieces to install the stove, time will tell- I’ll know more when I tackle the project in late September or so.

Edit... OK- I just looked on The Menards app and I’m now thinking the chimney system will be more like $500-$600... agh.
Without sitting down to price it all out i would guess by the time you have all of the components for the flue you will be pushing $1000. You can probably come in a little less than that if you use the cheaper stuff but i would go high quality if it was me.

Reactions: begreen
Even though it can get very cold up here, close to -40::F at times a HT2000 would be too big for the smaller place I’m buying. I’m thinking a Escape 1800 would be plenty big. I heated the house I’m selling which is bigger but it has 6" walls with a similar wood stove.
Tell us about the new place. How many sq ft in the new house will be wood heated? What is the house design and insulation?

Tell us about the new place. How many sq ft in the new house will be wood heated? What is the house design and insulation?
Here’s the place, I paid $98K for it and the seller is spending $4k to replace the old steel tank on the conventional septic system. The yard has 1.77 acres and is square and it will fit a 36x56 metal shed behind the side of the garage I’m thinking. It has 900 sq ft on the main level and the same in the basement. The basement is dry with it’s poured foundation- I wouldn’t buy a house with a wet basement. We recently has 8" of rain in a few days and I checked the basement then and it was bone dry. Anyways, it has 4" walls and I assume R13 insulation in them. I don’t know what the attic looks like for insulation yet but if it inadequate I’ll blow more in it to bring it up to what I should have. At this house here I never heated the basement but it has A ICF poured foundation and the walk-out Wall is R-21 insulated and it only got down to 48 or so in the coldest months. I plan on doing the same at the new place. I’ll mainly heat it with the free cord wood that is easy to find up here as there is lots of hardwood forests here. I want to get a Drolet Escape 1800- the pedestal model that sells for around $700 when they go on sale at Menards. Whatcha think?

PS- those very dated drapes will have to go and I’ll be putting T&G wood on the ceilings and some walls at some point in the future to make it look more like a northern place. Sold the house- need to start over with a new stoveSold the house- need to start over with a new stoveSold the house- need to start over with a new stoveSold the house- need to start over with a new stoveSold the house- need to start over with a new stove

Got a Nc30 for the new place last spring , Flue is in, stove not installed yet. Ought to put a dent in the propane bill.

Sounds like a nice deal. The house and property look good. Sorry to say that price wouldn't by a garage around here anymore.

It seems like the intent is to heat just the main floor of 960 sq ft and not the basement. Is that correct? if so, the Escape 1800 should get the job done. If heating the whole house from the basement consider stepping up to the HT2000.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nice deal. The house and property look good. Sorry to say that price wouldn't by a garage around here anymore.

It seems like the intent is to heat just the main floor of 960 sq ft and not the basement. Is that correct? if so, the Escape 1800 should get the job done. If heating the whole house from the basement consider stepping up to the HT2000.
Yes, I’ll heat just the upstairs with the wood stove. If you don’t mind living in the village as they call it here, I call it in town- you can get a decent house for $40,000 to $60,000. There’s some nice lake places that go for $300,000 on up. This is my lake home that I sold recently. Selling it gave me some play money for the skid steer and a big metal building that I’ll put at the new place like I said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mountain man 2
I have also found another place and I'll need to start from scratch. Wood heat down here is not an absolute requirement but an excellent investment when emergencies pop up (plus I have mountains of split oak dried in the barn). So I am looking into hi flame woodstoves http://www.hiflame-stove.com/. Wonder about the opinion of these little heaters that may be sold thru some of the bigbox stores if ordered.

hope yall don't mind jumping into this but it's the same subject different poster.

I have also found another place and I'll need to start from scratch. Wood heat down here is not an absolute requirement but an excellent investment when emergencies pop up (plus I have mountains of split oak dried in the barn). So I am looking into hi flame woodstoves http://www.hiflame-stove.com/. Wonder about the opinion of these little heaters that may be sold thru some of the bigbox stores if ordered.

hope yall don't mind jumping into this but it's the same subject different poster.
Best to start a new thread that gives specifics for the home and also had more detail on the location.

I know one thing for sure- this moving crap is for the birds but it’ll all be good in a month or so after I’m in the new place and settling in lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountain man 2

Well I finished putting in the chimney for the new stove yesterday while it was warm out and it’s 29 out now and snowing some so I’m letting the house cool down some so I can try a first fire in the stove. I have 6’ Of double wall stove pipe and 6’ of chimney pipe in the stack going straight up and out- hopefully it’ll produce a good draft....? Time will tell. And I still need to add a electric outlet behind the stove for the fan as can be seen in the photo with the cord stretched over to the left.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Well I
Nice little place, have you considered building a bump out / alcove to install the stove, it will make for a designated spot while still keeping some decent room flow - @Rangerbait did a very nice job with his and has some awesome pics to help out.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/install-myself-or-pay-the-pros.161786/
Sorry I didn’t see your question before today.... no a alcove would have meant more work than I really wanted to get myself into and there’s no place to put one since the outside walls have windows taking up the spaces for the most part. It’d be nice though especially since my hound dog likes to lay in front of the stove all winter on a dog bed and it gets a bit crowded that way.

Looks like a little curve in that stove pipe. Will work just fine though.

I’ve got just 12’ and have been happy.

Looks like a little curve in that stove pipe. Will work just fine though.

I’ve got just 12’ and have been happy.
I noticed the curve too looking at the photo but for some reason it’s more pronounced in the photo than in person looking at it but I’ll have to see if I can tweak the pipe a bit yet to straighten it up some. I had the first fire in the stove a few hours ago and it drafted well.

Reactions: Highbeam
I was a bit low on the chimney system, I got it all for $395 plus the 5.5% Wisconsin sales tax. Here’s a breakdown of the parts.

Black stove pipe double wall 6" 3x $40= $120
Class A SS chimney pipe 6" 2x $75= $150
Chimney cap $30
Chimney band $4
Stove pipe to chimney adapter $15
Ceiling support $30
Chimney roof flashing $20
Stove to stove pipe adapter $25

Plus $710 for the 2.4cf stove and $170 for the tiled floor pad plus sales tax. Not bad in my opinion.
Everything was purchased at Menards stores.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000