So the conversion is underway....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
I was warned.

You folks told tales of such things and I should never have doubted it.

Somehow in my fantasy world I figured somehow we'd be immune to it, but....

First she started feeding the stove -

Now my wife has admitted that she likes it warmer in the house now that we have the stove. Ok, not that big a deal of course - most folks do like it a bit warmer than what we have kept the house at paying for oil. However, the kicker for me was when I joked with her and said "guess I need to split more wood then" and she answered in total seriousness "Yes." I don't think there will be a turning back at this point.

Hmm... I think my hobby may have become mandatory in her mind. Time to publish my Christmas "want" list so she can see it :) I smell a few new tools headed my way if I'm lucky.

Of course the real test though will come when I find another CL score - will I get the rolling eyes or some real support to go and get it? Will she find a score and send me after it? Ha! that would be the day.

The day my wife discovered CL was the day I started going broke...apparently there are many things we "need" because they are cheap

Nah, this is a super duper cat stove that only requires an armload of wood for a week's heat.

We all like it warm too, why not run the house at 75+?

Now you're in trouble. On the plus side, it made it real easy to justify the dozens of saws, the Super Split splitter, the 7x14 dump trailer, diesel wood chipper, CTD, etc since we save money not buying oil/NG. Let the buying spree begin!!! :cheese:

trust me when i say there are definite benefits to keeping it very warm in the house year-round :) certain flannel pj's just never seem to be needed... ;)

seriously - wife/gf who respects the work that goes into heating w/ wood, that's priceless. ANYONE in the house who can run it properly - male or female - that's a huge bonus there.

I kinda fear my next business trip...

Highbeam - I'm thankful for the reduced wood consumption, but I still think I'll need two armfuls per week, maybe three now that she wants it warmer :)

Wet1 - I don't know as I'm going to go quite as far as you have, but there are a couple things I'd like to add to my collection. If nothing else just greater acceptance of the time it takes is a good thing. My original estimate was that 4.5 cords would be more than enough to have some left over in the spring... if she keeps up this desire to really warm the place up I wonder just how much we will burn through! That not only throws off this year, but it means I'm no longer working on 11/12 but am now late finishing up on 10/11!

Ed - I have 4 kids 7 and under... impedes a number of things (although obviously 3 didn't) However I agree with your main point and have already appreciated this benefit.

With cool weather approaching, a new stove, and all those youngsters in the house, I'd be out there working on 2011 through 2015 wood supplies! Although, I've grown to love the processing aspect of wood burning. It's hard to beat wooding up a cord or two of wood on a nice peaceful winter day...

Franks said:
The day my wife discovered CL was the day I started going broke...apparently there are many things we "need" because they are cheap
LMFAO, Aint that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!
The minute my OL gets her tax return check, shes on the computer on ebay buying eveything she can, until that cash is gone gone gone.

I couldn't agree more with the joys of beating up wood as a hobby. Just wish I could figure out how to make more time for it in my week. I've found 2-3 half hour slots a week (if weather is dry) right now to process my current pile of logs. It is slow, but progress. I will have to rely on finding some softer wood or CL scores in the spring to beef up my 10/11 supply as this red oak I'm doing now will clearly not be ready in time for that.

I keep turning to my spreadsheet models and updating with latest numbers to try and project my consumption rate for this winter. I have last year's burn data and the limited data from this year. So far it does appear I'm burning about 30-50% less wood/degree day. However, it is really hard to make a serious comparison until we get a good cold snap and run the stove 24/7 for a week or so. I need some 30+ degreeday days strung together (only been up to 29 so far). Now she wants to keep the house warmer so I'll have to adjust the numbers for that... nothing ever stays the same.

Oh yeah, she's a convert... I can feel it. Tell her the sisterhood of the stove is glad to see its number increased!

My advice on the tools is to be discreet and think your reasons through carefully before springing it on her. I know from whence I speak, having been wooed in such a manner myself by my silver-tongued husband who knows his ever practical wife very well. It started with the chainsaw and before I knew what had happened I'd been sweet-talked into a splitter. But, know what? it was every bit the "wise investment" he promised it would be. I don't mind splitting and stacking wood one bit. In fact, it's really a very pleasant way to spent a day outdoors when it would be just as easy to stay inside.

I have several friends who will have nothing to do with the stoves in their homes which are old, dirty and smokey, and there is wood debris all over their homes during the heating season. Everything about their "stove experience" is a total drag and the expectation that they have to clean up the endless trail really frosts the cake for them. Yet when they come to my home and see an attractive, efficient stove that doesn't stink the house up they always say something to the effect of, "if our stove was like that one I wouldn't mind having one".

Score one for Slow1!

Franks said:

Hey I resemble that remark! Lol, my going on CL is the reason we are getting a Lopi for $150 instead of going to the dealer and paying $2500 (like hubs was probably set to do) so he should be happy!

Slow1 said:
Highbeam - I'm thankful for the reduced wood consumption, but I still think I'll need two armfuls per week, maybe three now that she wants it warmer :)

Wet1 - I don't know as I'm going to go quite as far as you have, but there are a couple things I'd like to add to my collection. If nothing else just greater acceptance of the time it takes is a good thing. My original estimate was that 4.5 cords would be more than enough to have some left over in the spring... if she keeps up this desire to really warm the place up I wonder just how much we will burn through! That not only throws off this year, but it means I'm no longer working on 11/12 but am now late finishing up on 10/11!

Ed - I have 4 kids 7 and under... impedes a number of things (although obviously 3 didn't) However I agree with your main point and have already appreciated this benefit.

Hey Slow, it appears you have a future logging crew growing up there! lol

I will be curious on your wood usage. We keep the house warmer and use half the amount of wood we used to. That would be hard to top but I hope you at least come close.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Slow, it appears you have a future logging crew growing up there! lol

I will be curious on your wood usage. We keep the house warmer and use half the amount of wood we used to. That would be hard to top but I hope you at least come close.

I sure hope to have some help in a few years! The oldest has been willing to help out where I will let her. My second wants me to buy her a chainsaw of her own - pink of course. I'm not sure where I'll find that one if she still wants one once she is capable of running it on her own :)

As to your wood reduction - It isn't going to happen here. Too many factors against us. We're going from 18/7 burning to 24/7 for one. Just added keeping the house perhaps 4-5 degrees warmer. No way we'll reduce our wood consumption from last year. I'll be happy if we come close to breaking even! However we may offset more oil burn and enjoy the stove heat more so that has great value to me. I'd love to be wrong on this point of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.