Snow storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmaho

Jan 15, 2014
Ma
Do you clean off your stacks after a bif snow storm we had 10-12 in today

I clear the snow off the tarp on the pile that I am pulling wood from. It is a lot easier to handle a tarp without a foot of wet frozen snow on it. And it really sucks getting wet if things shift and there is a puddle up there. I have plywood pieces under the tarp, so it is a bit more manageable than a tarp alone. Sweeping it off isn't very hard especially With the plywood roof having a slight pitch.

If you are thinking of clearing off uncovered stacks you probably should have covered them to start with.

Kind of late now but most cover the wood they plan to use for the current burning season to circumvent the digging to get at it issue you describe. The snow wont really effect the wood or moisture level but it is a pain to deal with inside and outside the house. As far as my future stacks... They are all sleeping comfortably under a deep blanket of snow. Some are identifiable - others just a hump in the snow out back.

I remove the snow from the top of my stacks as well as all around them, otherwise they would disappear. This winter has been very dry where I live, but in a typical year, the snow in my yard is 6-8 feet deep by now. The key is staying on top of it from the first snows in the fall, otherwise you'll be struggling getting to your wood come March and April when it's still getting deeper.

-13 here this morning. 13 inches of snow sitting on the stacks. looked at them for a good long time out the window this morning. I stepped outside to go clean them off and got hit by 20mph wind(probably -30). since discretion is the better part of valor, I firgured the stacks could wait another couple days. It's colder than a penguins posterior out there. Sheeesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.