Snow melt around chimney, what’s normal/what’s not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

laruniper

Oct 8, 2018
NL
This is my first season heating with wood and I got say I love it!

It’s only recently got cold enough for me to run the stove for more than a few hours and I’m after going about 72 hours straight by now.

My setup is a bunglow with a basement. Single wall pipe in basement and then prefab up through the main floor and attic.

One issue I noticed today was that I have a bit of snow melting around the chimney. Giving that it’s currently just below freezing (-2°C/28°F) is this something that you would consider normal? It’s a new house with R50 attic insulation, venting is ridge and soffit. I climbed up earlier and it felt cold up there, lots of light and a solid breeze coming through the vents.

The double chimney in the attic is warm/hot to touch, as expected. I’m just surprised it is warm enough to melt the snow around the area.

So, anything I should check for. Would you consider this normal? Maybe just keep an eye on it and see if it was just a result of the light wet snow and just below freezing?

Sorry if it seems like I’m being paranoid but I’m pretty serious about safety and efficiency!

Some pics of roof and setup:

Attachments

• Snow melt around chimney, what’s normal/what’s not
    903F809E-A13D-4AB7-A27D-F3C5DEA04B6E.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 530
    7CE85D30-6F88-4F74-9A24-173A5CE4B984.png
    549 KB · Views: 346
    192097BD-C371-4A7B-BF27-9C3AEEA1D700.png
    271 KB · Views: 345
    DB360786-F550-48AC-BDF9-03A2E6234D26.png
    724 KB · Views: 351
    62E2268B-1ACC-4A31-BFE6-99157F63280B.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 373
    52A0FEF5-DEA9-46AA-AEBE-BB1F12733E06.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 336
Yes some snow melt is perfectly normal.

Something doesn't look right about how the pipe goes through that black box in the attic. Can you post a few more pics of that area? And what pipe is that? I looks like ventis but I am not sure. I just want to know so I can make sure that area is correct.

Reactions: laruniper
Yes some snow melt is perfectly normal.

Something doesn't look right about how the pipe goes through that black box in the attic. Can you post a few more pics of that area? And what pipe is that? I looks like ventis but I am not sure. I just want to know so I can make sure that area is correct.
Yeah, it may be the picture but I don't see 2" of clearance from the pipe to the flooring. And what is the red tape for?

Yeah, it may be the picture but I don't see 2" of clearance from the pipe to the flooring. And what is the red tape for?
That's what I thought and the box should be covered as well. The tape is to seal around the box. Not sure why it is there but it isn't a safety issue.

Can you post a few more pics of that area?
That doesn't look like a ceiling support box/ insulation shield that I've seen, but I haven't seen many.
It’s only recently got cold enough for me to run the stove for more than a few hours
Where is NL...NetherLands, New Labrador or what? ==c

I can’t supply any more pics as that black box is closed in from the living area now (as you can see in the other pics). Chimney is excel prefab. It’s all been certified and inspected and verified by insurance so I have no worries about the chimney install.

https://www.stoves-pipes.com/ICC-EXCEL-CEILING-SUPPORT-SQUARE-10-X-10-6-I-D-p/icxm6ess.htm

Details on that black box above.
Is it covered in the attic as well? The fact that it is Excell pipe means you only need 1" clearance through the box but it should be covered

Well I’m glad to hear that a bit of melt is to be expected.

For those wondering: about the supports, the round one in the floor is a radiation shield/support that drops down about a foot from the floor to where the stove pipe ends, the square one is for the attic. Why ones square and ones circle beats me! That’s what the certified installed put in and the insurance company likes it so I’m happy as can be!

NL is Newfoundland and Labrador, your next guess right??

Is it covered in the attic as well? The fact that it is Excell pipe means you only need 1" clearance through the box but it should be covered

By covered do you mean enclosed like in the living area by studs/drywall (as in pic #3)?

By covered do you mean enclosed like in the living area by studs/drywall (as in pic #3)?
Yes it should have an insulated sheild like the one in the framed chase.

The chimney is open in the attic. According to the rules and manufacturer here in Canada it only needs to be enclosed in the living space.

Here is a pic from the instructions:

http://icc-chimney.com/c/icc/file_db/docs_document.file_en/XLCND_2012-01.pdf

Link to the manual for anyone curious. It is only enclosed in the living area so no ones gets burned nor can anything be laid against it. In the attic there is so risk of this, so it isnt required.

Attachments

2D05330D-536D-4B8D-914F-DD15E24514A4.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
The chimney is open in the attic. According to the rules and manufacturer here in Canada it only needs to be enclosed in the living space.

Here is a pic from the instructions:

http://icc-chimney.com/c/icc/file_db/docs_document.file_en/XLCND_2012-01.pdf

Link to the manual for anyone curious. It is only enclosed in the living area so no ones gets burned nor can anything be laid against it. In the attic there is so risk of this, so it isnt required.
No I am not saying it needs to be enclosed. I am saying you need an insulation sheild on top of it to keep insulation out of the box and prevent critters from making a nest in there.

You need a collar to keep insulation from getting in the box. Do they have another black support box right above the stove. It just looks backwards to me but I’m sure I’m missing something.

You need a collar to keep insulation from getting in the box. Do they have another black support box right above the stove. It just looks backwards to me but I’m sure I’m missing something.
I believe that is a radiation sheild that Excell uses. It does look like a support box

I installed an excel chimney this past summer in my house and it is definitely different than what I got but maybe they have something different. My black square box is the support box and my attic radiation shield is round.

No I am not saying it needs to be enclosed. I am saying you need an insulation sheild on top of it to keep insulation out of the box and prevent critters from making a nest in there.

I understand what you’re saying now. There is a collar there to stop that from happening on both the floor support and the attic shield. As I said these pics were taken before fully finished.

I installed an excel chimney this past summer in my house and it is definitely different than what I got but maybe they have something different. My black square box is the support box and my attic radiation shield is round.

By looking at the website they are available as both round and square, guess it depends on location/style.

Reactions: bholler
I understand what you’re saying now. There is a collar there to stop that from happening on both the floor support and the attic shield. As I said these pics were taken before fully finished.

By looking at the website they are available as both round and square, guess it depends on location/style.
Ok good.

Burned for a weekend and didnt have hardly any melt to speak of. The flue from the oil furnace that only ran briefly melted a foot around the pipe. I was impressed. It probably is dependent upon stove size Im sure. If you have DSP it will probably melt more due to higher flue gas temps at the penetration.