Snap Disk

• Thread starter Thread starter mhrischuk
  • Start date Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mhrischuk

I'm pretty new to wood stove language. I saw "snap disk" used a few times and thought it was something other than a thermostatic switch. I finally got around to reading these posts and figured it out. I often wonder why people call things by other names that most aren't familiar with... in other words... why do we need 10 names for the same thing?

Isn't this the same thing they use in clothes dryers? When you look up the parts lists on clothes dryers it's called a thermostat.

I can look at the word thermostat and know what it is. When I look at the word snap disk I think of back pain.

Sometimes I think people like to use words that others don't understand to make them look smarter. I joke with my wife. She is a well educated woman and often uses words I don't understand and I say... you mean... She says yea and I say why didn't you just say that LOL so I don't have to go look it up?

She says life would be boring with only one word for each meaning. Literature would suck.
She says I need to read more.

Slap me if I sound stupid.

(broken link removed)

BTW, hopefully others that do a search on snap disk will find this and relate.

It's short for snap acting bi-metal disc type thermostat, at least that's what I think it means.....

No shortage of in words designed to keep outsiders firmly outside the loop...... ;-)

woodchip said:
It's short for snap acting bi-metal disc type thermostat, at least that's what I think it means.....

No shortage of in words designed to keep outsiders firmly outside the loop...... ;-)

You sir are correct!

Ray

Thermostats come in many shapes and designs. Some wood stoves have bi-metallic spring dampers. I think snap-disk is clearer on identifying what themostat is being refered to. In my line of work I have several different types of thermostats we work with, so we are specific on what we refer to. Snap disk are also used in the HVAC and appliance world as high limit cut-off devices. But yes, they are a form of thermostat.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone know where to buy them online. It seems that you have to set up an account with Grainger. I'm looking for a quick purchase, no hassle order. I have to finish my solar collector and that is one of my last components to purchase.

Snap disks are used extensively in the industry. You'll find them in pellet stoves (our Quad had 3), furnaces, motor overheat protection, stove fans, dryers, electric heaters, etc. They are used both as simple high and low temp controllers.

fishingpol said:
Thermostats come in many shapes and designs. Some wood stoves have bi-metallic spring dampers. I think snap-disk is clearer on identifying what themostat is being refered to. In my line of work I have several different types of thermostats we work with, so we are specific on what we refer to. Snap disk are also used in the HVAC and appliance world as high limit cut-off devices. But yes, they are a form of thermostat.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but does anyone know where to buy them online. It seems that you have to set up an account with Grainger. I'm looking for a quick purchase, no hassle order. I have to finish my solar collector and that is one of my last components to purchase.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/642/2481.pdf

Ray

Thanks Ray, 5 weeks lead time possible on shipping. I just found Woodman's parts sells them for a little bit more. Mark up price for the middle man I guess.

fishingpol said:
Thanks Ray, 5 weeks lead time possible on shipping. I just found Woodman's parts sells them for a little bit more. Mark up price for the middle man I guess.

Only checked one and they were in stock.. Sorry about that!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.