Smoking me out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaVache

Hearth Supporter
Nov 30, 2009
Manorlands Utah
I have a stove that has issues with smoke coming into the cabin during the night as the stove dwindles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Hi Jack, welcome! If you could, please describe your installation and cabin. Type of chimney, stove, etc. How well insulated and/or air tight is the cabin? Do you have problems with smoke spillage when starting a fire?

My stove is a Napoleon 4100? Not sure of the exact model. The venting is straight up about 24' cathedral ceiling. The cabin is not air tight but not breezy. I do have issues on start up as well but I just hate waking up to smoke all over.

Can we assume that the stack and CAP have been properly cleaned? If it is the type of cap that has a spark screen/critter screen on it - they are known to plug up if not burned correctly.

Sounds like you may be dealing with a negative pressure issue. Have you noticed it more on windy days or maybe if the wind is out of a specific direction. Could there be other items in the house fighting for air, such as exhaust fans or power vents on water heater, etc.

I think Jags may be on the right track here. Is there an upstairs attic vent or bedroom window open?

No windows open and the water heater doesn't really run at night. Maybe occasionally. No other vents or fans. I am at 7500' if that matters

Is this the only heater or is there backup heat in the cabin? Also, is this single wall flue pipe or double-wall connecting the stove with the ceiling box?

Hmmm...I'm fishing here but.....

You say that at night, you are getting smoked out at the end of the burn. End of burn equals coaling stage. Very little smoke in coals....unless it is a smoldering smudge pot. Have you tried opening up the primary air a little more than normal?? I know it will shorten your burn time, but if you are smoldering the fire, and the stack gets cool late in the evening, it could be causing your problemo.

I'm guessing that the stove pipe is cooling down too much. If it's windy, it could be reverse drafting. 24' of single wall is against code and could be a creosote factory. It should have a double-wall connector pipe.

This could be a combination of causes. As a test you could try with the furnace turned off and see if the issue occurs. Check the air intake connection on the furnace, look for an obstruction. Also check the duct balancing. Make sure that no supply vents are closed off and there is no return grille close to the stove.

Welcome to the hearth. I have a few questions that may help us understand a little better. The burn technique is important, can you tell us exactly how you handle the last burn of the night? How you load, shut down the primary, you know the routine you follow. Second, are you literally seeing smoke? Or do you have a smoky smell in the morning? Is it concnetrated at the stove, or pretty much all over.

A last question is about the stack, what diameter?

how about the 10/2 rule? is the top of the stack 2 ft taller than anything within 10 feet?

I hope you have a CO monitor in use?

La Vache said:
Do you guys work in the industry?

Some do, but the rest of us just stay at the Holiday Inn Express. :lol:

What you WILL find here is a bunch of folks that are passionate about burning wood and doing it right. Many with YEARS of burning experience under their wing, and many, like yourself that are looking for a little help. The combined brain trust of this site could easily run NASA but we choose wood - for whatever thats worth. %-P

La Vache said:
I have a stove that has issues with smoke coming into the cabin during the night as the stove dwindles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do have issues on start up as well but I just hate waking up to smoke all over.

Thanks,

Jack

Welcome to the forum Jack. Most of us are just wood burners trying to help others.

While others are concerned about installation and such, I am more concerned about your fuel. The key is that you have problems at night and also during startup. That simply spells bad fuel to me.

So what are you burning and how long has it been drying?

La Vache said:
I do have issues on start up as well...

If your chimney is 6" diameter and you are following the 10/2 rule, and it's clean. Then I'd start looking at double wall. It's just me, but I bet something is off on this chimney other than it being single wall.

La Vache, there are going to be a lot of questions and things that seem non revelant, but stick with it and you'll get your problem solved. Try and not get offended to being told you're not in code, etc... Everyone here (well except a few) will work hard to get this problem solved if you just worth through it with us.

I took a look a the Napoleon 1400's installation manual and was surprised to see that they do not recommend single wall at all.:

Venting

Connect the stove to a chimney system using a listed double
wall connector. Use a chimney system listed to ULC S629 in
Canada or UL103HT in the U.S.A.

Jags said:
La Vache said:
Do you guys work in the industry?

Some do, but the rest of us just stay at the Holiday Inn Express. :lol:

What you WILL find here is a bunch of folks that are passionate about burning wood and doing it right. Many with YEARS of burning experience under their wing, and many, like yourself that are looking for a little help. The combined brain trust of this site could easily run NASA but we choose wood - for whatever thats worth. %-P

The last line gave me a good laugh for the day . . . thanks Jags.

Status
Not open for further replies.