Smokey Duel Fuel Dickson Range

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

johneajr

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
SEPA
Newbie here, (been lurking for a while)
I have some coal & wood stove experience with an old Caloric upright coal stove and a modern Englander wood stove.
I just bought a cabin that has a duel fuel Dickson Model#5-88L coal/LPG cook stove manufactured by Early Foundry company. The stove came with Early fire tools and still has origional art deco light lens and salt and pepper shakers that came with the stove. I checked out the chimney and stove before lighting. Chimney clear, stove internals very clean with no cracks, flue open. The stovetop sections seem to fit together well with no cracks.
I held a small piece of burning paper at the flue and had a good draft. I then lit three sheets of crumpled up news paper and replaced the cook plates for a test fire. Things worked good.
After the paper burned out I laid in a small amount of dry well seasoned wood and lit it. There was a good bit of smoke leakage from around the stovetop sections on the coal side of the range. I let the fire burnout and decided to wait untill next weekend when my wife is not with me.
The stove had not been used for a long time. Outside temp 33 F, inside temp 60 F. Draft air intake was full open and the over fire air intake was closed. Exterior lined masonary chimney.
Is it usual for smoke to leak from the seams of the stovetop sections?
Should this clear up after the chimney heats up for a while?
Thanks,
John A
SE PA

Status
Not open for further replies.