Smoke with loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millertime2531

Sep 25, 2020
Massachusetts
I’m sure this topic has been cover many times but wondering if anyone has the issue with same fireplace. It’s a supreme ambiance elegance 40. I cannot load wood unless fire is completely out and just coals, which is typically when I like to load. But sometimes there’s times I need to open to readjust. Every time I open the door I get ash flying all around and smoke in my face. Seems like the firebox being really tall doesn’t help. It also seems as if the air wash blows the smoke right out the top as soon as the door is open. My buddy has no issues on his smaller stove. I don’t think he has an air wash though and rarely needs to clean glass. Mine doesn’t seem like the air wash helps at all as I have to clean it every single time I light the fire.
Smoke with loading

That’s what I do. It is usually fine if I keep it open about an inch. until I open it to put in the wood. I need to open just enough to get the wood in and have to fling it into position. Ideally I’d like to nest the pieces in there a certain way and be able to take my time doing it right.

If there is a blower, turn it off, then open the air control, wait a minute, then open the door an inch, wait another 30 seconds, then open the door slowly.

Yah, agree with above. It is the physics, I have decided, of round airflow through a square box. The best I can do is open the damper, wait a couple minutes, crack the door, wait, then open the door and get it done. Think if it as a very expensive scented candle you worked very very hard to provide for your wife in tiny quantities. Works for me.

Definitely a learning curve. It’s tricky and if I’m not around and someone thinks they are being helpful by throwing in a log it screws everything up. I’ve tried all the above and still happens. I guess I’ll have to live with it. Best I can do is add 1 or 2 logs while I have just coals but if I’m not quick enough they will ignite before I add a few more and the smoke billows out. I’m convinced it’s a design flaw with the air wash system. All fresh air comes in from top then comes down the face of glass to the base of fire. I see most stoves have an inlet at the base of unit to let in fresh air in also. Wonder if that has something to do with it.