Smoke removal issues, firepit, offset exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

d337

Nov 5, 2021
Hi Guys

Having trouble exhausting the smoke from my firepit.
It billows out the front and chimney.
The chimney is not yet sealed in (clay-stainless).

But i fear this wont be enough when it is.

I cant go higher with chimney without brace/eyesore.

I prefer not to use a flue whirrly bird as it will degrade overtime (durability).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have had mentioned a bellend ontop of chimney or a spiral flat bar to use wind power to help drag the smoke out of chimney.

All Ideas will help.

Thanks Guys

Smoke removal issues, firepit, offset exhaust Smoke removal issues, firepit, offset exhaust Smoke removal issues, firepit, offset exhaust Smoke removal issues, firepit, offset exhaust

You are going to have to get that chimney higher. Looking at the house behind you, that chimney is going to have wind /cold air come right over the roofs and blow the smoke back down.
Also, it looks like the flue from the firepit has a 90 degree turn, that will back up the smoke and let it come out the front.

Hi Armanidog.

Thanks for the advise, i will roll some steel to reduce the 90 bend to the flu and see how that goes.

I would prefer not to go any higher with the flu, is there another way to stop the cold air blowing down the flu?

Thanks Armanidog

appreciate it

I'd also move the propane tank farther from the fire.

Hi Guys

Having trouble exhausting the smoke from my firepit.
It billows out the front and chimney.
The chimney is not yet sealed in (clay-stainless).

But i fear this wont be enough when it is.

I cant go higher with chimney without brace/eyesore.

I prefer not to use a flue whirrly bird as it will degrade overtime (durability).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have had mentioned a bellend ontop of chimney or a spiral flat bar to use wind power to help drag the smoke out of chimney.

All Ideas will help.

Thanks Guys

View attachment 284771 View attachment 284772 View attachment 284773 View attachment 284774
Your flue is way to small compared to the firebox opening. And I don't see any way the transition from firebox to flue can be done very well. How is the flue integrated into the firebox design?
What is the ratio between firebox opening volume to flue volume?

Reactions: begreen