Smoke entering neighbours house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TrevorGage

Mar 2, 2020
United states
Hello all, so i've had an issue with smoke coming back into my house on windy days. This has been rectified by changing my cowl to an anti downdraught one. I have a shared chimney stack with my neighbours semi detached house. Since fitting the new cowl the smoke from mine has been entering his chimney and into his living room.
Would fitting an anti downdraught cowl on the neighbours rectify this?
Mine is a logburner with a 6" flue liner installed into the chimney. He has a gas fire fitted.

What kind of heating system does your neighbor have, forced air?

Hello all, so i've had an issue with smoke coming back into my house on windy days. This has been rectified by changing my cowl to an anti downdraught one.reverse phone lookupnba redditpcpartpicker I have a shared chimney stack with my neighbours semi detached house. Since fitting the new cowl the smoke from mine has been entering his chimney and into his living room.
Would fitting an anti downdraught cowl on the neighbours rectify this?
Mine is a logburner with a 6" flue liner installed into the chimney. He has a gas fire fitted.
I bought a house with a wood burning stove insert in an old fireplace. Today I took off the metal trim around the stove that covers the rest of the old fireplace opening. There is no flue pipe on the stove at all. Is this okay? Thanks.
Thankyou

TrevorGage, if your neighbor has a forced air heating system and he closes a bedroom door, it is very possible that his system could pull air (your smoke) down through his chimney.

I bought a house with a wood burning stove insert in an old fireplace. Today I took off the metal trim around the stove that covers the rest of the old fireplace opening. There is no flue pipe on the stove at all. Is this okay? Thanks.
Thankyou
The chimney needs to be lined and insulated for your insert I would recommend doing this and adding a a 2' to 3' extension to get it above your neighbors flue.

Thankyou
Surprised you have not gotten more direct response to this yet. What you have is called a "slammer". It does not use a connection pipe to the chimney. They were allowed back in the early days but are now considered unsafe to be used. This is a different issue than you initially asked about, but needs to be your starting point.

Surprised you have not gotten more direct response to this yet. What you have is called a "slammer". It does not use a connection pipe to the chimney. They were allowed back in the early days but are now considered unsafe to be used. This is a different issue than you initially asked about, but needs to be your starting point.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but why is the slammer any more dangerous than a traditional open hearth fireplace? Is it the slow burning of the wood stove that creates the creosote buildup?

Finally, if a slammer wood stove was used as a "fireplace" with the doors open is it still just as dangerous?

Op said he has 6” insulated liner. Then describes a slammer install. I’m confused. I’m often confused btw!

Op said he has 6” insulated liner. Then describes a slammer install. I’m confused. I’m often confused btw!
Mine is a logburner with a 6" flue liner installed into the chimney.
I am figuring he has a 6" clay tile lined chimney. If he said insulated I am missing that.

Reactions: Jason721
Ha. Installed! I read so well don’t!!! I misreads

Thankyou
I am confused as well first posted he said "Mine is a logburner with a 6" flue liner installed into the chimney. " then i read his second post which is it?

Last edited: