Smoke Crossover - Need a liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

iammarrk

Dec 3, 2022
CT
I have a fireplace on 1st floor (13x13 flue) and an Avalon 990 wood stove in the basement (6" pipe into 9x13 flue). They share a common chimney. When I use the fireplace I get some smoke entry into the basement. After researching and reading I decided that I would benefit from a flue extender on the fireplace flue. I had a company come out and they said that just a flue extender would not help and I also need to add a liner to the basement flue. Trying to figure out if this is just an upsell or if I really do need a liner.

Two separate issues. Extending the fireplace chimney should stop the back-siphoning of smoke to the stove. The other issue is one of safety. The Avalon requires a 6" flue of ~28 sq in area. The flue liner is oversized, by almost 4x the requirement. That severely dilutes draft and cools down the smoke in the flue. This can be a recipe for creosote buildup.

I have a fireplace on 1st floor (13x13 flue) and an Avalon 990 wood stove in the basement (6" pipe into 9x13 flue). They share a common chimney. When I use the fireplace I get some smoke entry into the basement. After researching and reading I decided that I would benefit from a flue extender on the fireplace flue. I had a company come out and they said that just a flue extender would not help and I also need to add a liner to the basement flue. Trying to figure out if this is just an upsell or if I really do need a liner.
It is possible that you have internal crossover because of a failed liner. But it's unlikely

No crossover as far as I know. Both flues were inspected. I understand the creosote issue due to low temperatures, but I only use the stove a dozen times a year for ambiance.