Smell of coal from chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.hebert

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2007
Columbia, MO
Today I burnt a hotter and larger fire than normal in my masonry heater (Temp-Cast 2000). When I went outside I was surprised to find the smoke from the chimney was very black and smelled like coal. Normally the smoke fom the heater is very minimal. I had some creosote build up from burning a load of wet wood earlier in the season and the only thing i could figure was the smoke was from some of the creosote burning. Otherwise everything seemed fine and I don't think i had a chimney fire. Any one have any other ideas?

Sounds like a chimney fire, albeit a small one, to me; or at the very least, some unwanted creosote burning away.

Would be a very good idea to go up there and see what happened versus speculating on it. If you have a buildup, clean it now while you can.... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.