Smell from 55shp22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juhani

Feb 25, 2014
Sebeka, Mn
Long time reader but new member. Want to thank everyone here for the wealth of knowledge that is freely distributed. I have a question now that prompted me to sign up. I have had this stove for three years now and it has served me well. Bought it used so I don't know what the break in smell specifically smells like. I have been burning lumberjack pellets all winter but ran out and have bought a few bags of indeck pellets until I get my next pallet of lumberjack pellets. Now I have a smell coming from the front left corner of the stove and have been unable to figure out what it is. The smell shows up as soon as the stove comes up to temp. It isn't a strong smell but it's kind of annoying not knowing what it is. Stove seems to be burning fine and the doesn't seem to have changed at all with different pellets so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas? I'm stumped at the moment.

Not break in smell, if you bought it used - that doesn't last that long.

Check the door gasket, by inserting a dollar bill, between the door and frame, Close the door, while checking resistance of removing the bill, around the perimeter.

It should be hard to remove, if at all.

I did the door gasket check yesterday and that seems to be good as I couldn't pull a dollar bill out from anywhere. One thing I can say about the smell is it is not a wood smoke smell. It just dawned on me that it is similar to a smell of something burning on the bottom of an oven.

That sounds like paint...did they repaint it, right before you bought it, maybe?

If so, depending on what they painted it with - it may take awhile to gas off, burning on a lower setting.

It may now just be showing up, from burning it at a higher setting, or the pellets you now have burn hotter.

I don't know whether they painted or not. I do think these pellets burn hotter than the others did. So I guess it's possible that it could be that.

I just noticed, you've had it for 3 years....

Got kids?

*thinking toy stuck, and slowly melting...

I do have kids and have thought the same thing but haven't been able to find anything. My first reaction was to look at the two year old and wonder what he put where. Will search again.

Paint,3 years,no.No smell from combustion chamber(gaskets)as stove would have shut down first,as there is a vacuum on that side of combustion blower.However,how is your gasket on the combustion blower,pu a new one in last time you cleaned it?Mary could be right about kids,also dog hair,candy wrapper,etc got sucked in by convection blower and ended up on heat exchanger.I have pulled many a dead mouse out of home heaters and car heaters.

left side - more convection blower airflow?

Look around the convection blower, for something that might be melting, and the blower, is sucking in the smell.

Just got to looking at the stove tonight. I think I found what was causing my smell. I thought I had thoroughly cleaned the stove last weekend but realized tonight that I have forgotten to clean the convection blower screen until you guys mentioned it. After cleaning the dust off the screen I noticed a big difference in the
amount of air being blown out the front of the stove. I am sure the stove was getting much hotter than normal with the reduced convection airflow. The smell was drastically reduced and now after running for an hour or so I don't notice it much at all anymore. Thank you for the help In getting this figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.