small stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Hearth Supporter
Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
i am moving out my big stove in the basement for a lot smaller stove the big stove has a 8" pipe the hole in the flue is 6" on my little stove the hole is and 6" should i use the 6" or can i use my existing 8" on it. they are both fisher stoves the large is a grandma bear and the small is baby. since i am using my insert i dont need the big stove in the basement , it is way too hot for us to sleep down there and to cold with out it. thats is why i am going to try the smaller stove what do you all think.
thanks bull

If the draft has been good on the big stove, I'd give it a try with the 8". It may work fine.

i went ahead and bought all new pipe from the airflow store. stove installed and run it half the day with doors and windows open too get ride of the new paint on stove . seems to be working well. although it was 59 degrees today. when it is warmer outside how do you all run your stove . do you let them go out or close them up with little wood so it doesnt burn out.

On mild days my normal practice is to burn a shorter hotter fire. I let it go out so that I can burn cleaner and hotter.

This is response to my first post, i went thru all of q&a's and found some of my questions answered,but not quite satisfied yet with what i learned
the house we are living in had a wood stove in it from the MLS pictures we saw,but my question is i have a 8inch single wall pipe from top of the
chimney to where it comes thru the wall at stove then it reduces to 6inch i do have lot of money to be making too many mistakes i have a problem
with coming back into house,the stove has a 6inch outlet coming out the top of stove would it help if i put lenght of 6inch flex pipe down chimney and
hook it to the 6inch pipe i now have coming out of stove as i beleive the 8inch is over powering the 6inch at stove then if almost works then i can add
to the height coming out of chimney if need be,the only other i could do would be make it all 8inch from stove to top of chimney,thank's

Hi,monkey here what will be my best route to take with pipe size go with the 6inch piping all the way from top of stove
to top stack,or go with 8inch from top of stove to top of stack,if i go with 6inch i will have a air gap between 6inch and existing 8inch liner
but my pipe size will be smaller which if i understand the forum right i can keep my heat up in pipe and exhaust moving faster.
I would like some input from the forum to make the right move,thank's

Welcome monkey. Best to start a new thread on this topic for your questions. Please use punctuation and paragraphs to make it easier to read. :eek:hh: :)

BeGreen said:
Welcome monkey. Best to start a new thread on this topic for your questions. Please use punctuation and paragraphs to make it easier to read. :eek:hh: :)

Easy there BeGreen . . . I think that it's quite something for a monkey to even type sentences that we can read . . . to expect a monkey to have proper puncutation and paragraphs . . . well that would be like expecting Pook to post a thread that a) either makes sense or b) doesn't have something to do with the Magic Heater. ;) :)

On the serious side . . . welcome Monkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.