Small flame in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RosalieRalf

Nov 24, 2020
Pisgah, Al
I have a wood burning fireplace. I am thinking I have a draft issue, but not sure. When I have a fire, I am constantly having to mess with it to keep a decent flame. It usually just has a very small flame at best after just a few minutes after I mess with it. I have to keep the fire at the back of the hearth or the smoke smell with linger. If I turn on an exhaust fan in the bathroom, it will pull a smoke smell into the house.

It is a new house and the fireplace is one of those prefab types. I have had the chimney extended. I have had another run of fire bricks installed to lessen the area of the hearth as it was very large. I have the damper opened up all the way and I am using good wood for burning. I have been having this issue since it was new. I am not using it to heat the house, I just like a good fire and I want to see a good flame. My mothers fireplace burns good, keeps a good high flame on it at all times. That is what I want.

I guess my questions are:
Is draft my issue?
Will more draft make my flame bigger?
Is an chimney exhaust fan the way to go?
Thanks for info!!

I won't be the person to answer your question but, other members that will be able to help you will need to know some more info. It could be related the quality of the wood you have available meaning how seasoned is it? If you can post the following info...
-Make and model
-Chimney type, size, and height
-source of wood and whether it is seasoned or not
Someone will be along if you can get this info plus a few pics of your setup they will be able to help you out!

It is an Isokern kit. It is a Magnum. The opening is close to 41" high, about 36" wide. The flue is 14" in diameter. Not sure how tall the chimney is, but it sticks well above the roof line. I have had it extended since originally installing.

I cut my own firewood. It is seasoned. Overly dry wood burns good, but not with the flame you would expect.

I need to know if the draft is really my issue here. Whether my chimney needs extended again or an exhaust fan installed would fix the issue.

Try opening a close-by window about an inch and see if that makes a notable difference.

What floor is the fireplace located on? About how tall is the chimney now (1 story, 2 story, 2 story + attic)?

I usually open a window to get it started good. I close when it heats up good, sometimes an hour or so. Even after burning for hours, I cannot get a good flame It will burn, but not a tall flame at all. The wood can be arranged in the fireplace to have room for air to move throughout it, still not good flame. If wood falls towards the front, it smells up the room. I have a 1 story home, but the roof is a tall stick built one. Easily as tall as a 2 story roof at the crown. The chimney goes up past the crown.

I usually open a window to get it started good. I close when it heats up good, sometimes an hour or so. Even after burning for hours, I cannot get a good flame It will burn, but not a tall flame at all. The wood can be arranged in the fireplace to have room for air to move throughout it, still not good flame. If wood falls towards the front, it smells up the room. I have a 1 story home, but the roof is a tall stick built one. Easily as tall as a 2 story roof at the crown. The chimney goes up past the crown.
By well seasoned what do you mean? How long is it cut split and covered?

It sounds like the fire is starving for air. Next time leave the window open an inch and see if it makes a difference. Another thing you could try is to mix in a few 2x4 cut offs as spacers between the logs.

Please buy a moisture meter, take a room temp split, re-split and test fresh face, you want 22% or lower moisture content, btw, most wood, especially hardwood splits will take approx 1.5- 2yrs to dry out enough to burn cleanly, thats split, stacked and top covered, stored in an area with good air movement and decent sun light. Heavier woods like red & white oak can take longer, this is due to wood density

No way is that wood dry.
Go to the store and buy a basket of kiln dried for a test.
The same wood burns great in my mothers fireplace. I am burning some now that was a standing dead tree for over a year before it was split about 8 months ago. I will get other wood for a test burn, but when it burns great in another fireplace and does not in mine, its troublesome

around 8 months.
That is not usually enough for good hardwood like oak, hickory, or hedge.
OK. So I need more draft?
More oxygen to the fire. If having the window cracked open makes a notable difference throughout the burning of the fire then it is likely that either the fireplace is in a negative pressure zone or the house is very tight and the fireplace needs its own air supply. Did they install a combustion air kit for the Magnum?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
That is not usually enough for good hardwood like oak, hickory, or hedge.

More oxygen to the fire. If having the window cracked open makes a notable difference throughout the burning of the fire then it is likely that either the fireplace is in a negative pressure zone or the house is very tight and the fireplace needs its own air supply. Did they install a combustion air kit for the Magnum?
They did not install a combustion air kit. My house is insulated very well, so even with old wood it does not burn with a high flame. I had never heard of that kit until just now. I will look into it. It will be a pain to install now after the fact