Slow it down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Ordered a piece of ceramic blanket to fill up some of the space above the baffle in the stove insert, hoping to slow the draft down.

In a perfect world, I'd get one of those key dampers for inside the liner. Can't do it with my configuration.

The piece of ceramic blanket is 1/2" thick, 24" wide, 12" deep. $6.77 on ebay, free shipping. On an earlier version of the stove, a blanket was standard, 1/2" thick, 23.5" wide, 13.5" deep. 4x the price.

I talked about this last season, but didn't pull the trigger. It'll be here by Saturday.

We'll see how it goes!

Reactions: SpaceBus
Why not buy a reducing cap then, the insert blanket might cause smoke roll out issues, or even higher internal stove temps which can cause an over fire issue.

Last edited:
A blanket on top of the baffle probably won't decrease draft, but could insulate the baffle to where it fires the secondaries earlier.

Might want to find the air inlets and see if they can be tweaked for more control.

Why not buy a reducing cap then, the insert blanket might cause smoke roll out issues, or even higher internal stove temps which can cause an over fire issue.
Huh, I guess I didn't even know these existed, even after 5 or so years on here. I've got some research to do.

A blanket on top of the baffle probably won't decrease draft, but could insulate the baffle to where it fires the secondaries earlier.

Might want to find the air inlets and see if they can be tweaked for more control.
Good suggestion, I've done some work on this already and use sheets of steel to block the two cutouts for the optional OAKs on both sides. This helped tremendously, I added at least two hours, maybe even three or four, to my burns. Now I can easily get an overnight burn that has plenty of hot coals left for reloads. Quality of life increased significantly.

This is really more of a tweak to reduce the draft at the start of fires. If I don't watch closely, before I even start shutting down, my liner starts to glow. It doesn't take long, and the fire is not out of control before it starts to happen. The stovetop has been in the 600's and low 700's the last three times it happened. If I shut down attentively, this doesn't happen. I'd like a little insurance that it doesn't happen if I look away for 5 minutes, typing a reply or reading a few posts, for instance.

Reactions: moresnow
Set a timer at loading/reloading! Fixed. ;)
I actually tried doing the timer thing, but eventually got too lazy. Plus, it's different amount of time that this starts to happen, depending on the load, coals, etc.