Slight smoke smell from my Progress Hybird

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
As I'm still trying to dial in this stove,im smelling a slight strong smoke smell. Now, I have replace the gasket around the top plate and I have a stove pipe adapter with a key damper that I had on the Lopi. All the rest of the black pipe is brand new double wall. The stove pipe adapter fits inside of the stove and the second wall slips over the outside of the metal of the stove. I tried to SNIFF where the smell is coming from, I have a strong smell on the right top back side of the stove and some right by flue. I did not seal the flue against the stove because I didn't know what you can use. If I use the flue damper the smell gets even stronger. Any Ideas? Thanks Fespo

If you search progress hybrid smoke, you will get a lot of info. Seems like it was the door gasket or something.

My new progress doesn’t smell like smoke at all. Hope you get it figured out.

Why would you need a damper on a PH pipe? Unless you have way over 30 feet of chimney with unusually strong draft, you’d do well to ditch that antique idea.

PH’s can run fairly low. Any stove that can run that low is susceptible to backpuffing problems, with a pipe damper. Backpuffing is a leading cause of smoke smell, and it’s not always violent or obvious, when it’s occurring. You could be dancing right in the edge of neutral/positive stove pressure, without knowing it.

Pipe joint sealants are a kludge, a proper install will have that pipe at negative pressure, it should never exhaust into the room. Sucking cold air in thru leaky joints is more likely than exhausting smoke.

Reactions: toddnic
fespo, can you tell us how tall your chimney is? I agree with Ashful that you most likely need to get rid of the damper. I have some issues occasionally with backpuffing which is fairly common with the PH. Also, when there is not a significant temperature difference between inside the house and outside, I sometimes get a slight smoke smell because I don't have sufficient draft.

Ok guys, the flue is 23-25' all inside except the last 18" or so. I just about a foot off the top peek. I use the damper because the draft is so strong the flue pipe is just about the same temp as the stove.. Now the problem I have with the odor is with or with out the the damper in use. I did call Woodstock today and they have heard of this problem before and they were going to get back to me on the issue. I did do the dollar bill test today as they asked me to do. The door gasket is TIGHT, the top griddle with the new gasket is bad news, no resistance at all!!!! Now when I installed the new gasket, I did not stretch the gasket at all. The problem I believe is the top griddle and gasket is just not sealing correct.
Fespo

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
No more smell!!! After a few phone calls and trying different things, we got it fixed!! It was the top metal griddle, it was warped just a touch. I ordered a new one and replace it yesterday. Woodstock helped me out just as if I bought the stove new from them yesterday. What a great bunch!!!!

Reactions: Ashful and toddnic
Fespo,

Thanks for posting the solution, I've been following this thread. Woostock is really great to work with. I think this is the first time I heard of a warped top plate and it sounds like yours was pretty new.

The dollar bill test definitely was a big help getting to the root of the problem.

Does it seem that the larger Woodstock hybrids have metal parts warping and causing internal and leakage problems? The good news is the failed parts are pretty easy to remove and bang back into shape. No cutting and welding!

Last edited:
fespo, thanks for letting us know how you were able to fix the problem! As you state, Woodstock Soapstone Company is wonderful to work with. They have always been very responsive to any question that I have had and are exceptional regarding warrantying their products. Glad that you got this issue resolved!

No more smell!!! After a few phone calls and trying different things, we got it fixed!! It was the top metal griddle, it was warped just a touch. I ordered a new one and replace it yesterday. Woodstock helped me out just as if I bought the stove new from them yesterday. What a great bunch!!!!
Ya thanks for getting back to us.Too many times folks post with a problem good solutions are offered and you never hear back from them which I find frustrating.Those offering solutions would like to know if their idea helped or not.Maybe a heads up should be given to those who post with a problem be asked as a courtesy to give feed back when a solution proves helpful.