Slate Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Feb 4, 2021
Hampshire
Hi,

Would appreciate some advice. A few years ago I put one piece 15mm slate on top of the brick hearth and also put 15mm slate on on the fire surround (as 3 pieces). It was originally all just brick which I basically just clad it using fireproof cement. However it cracked. I understand now that 15mm was not thick enough. Do I need 30mm or 40mm? What else do I need to do to stop this happening again? Any help really appreciated.
Slate Hearth

Slate Hearth

Slate Hearth
Slate Hearth

I'm thinking the cracks might be due to slight differences in thermal expansion of the brick and slate. If that's the case it won't matter how thick you make the slate.

Last edited: