sk8 pipe repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MickG

Dec 6, 2022
North Texas
I have SK8 flue pipe in my chimney and upon inspection there was a small defect found. Is this repairable ? I was told I need a new chimney and fireplace , can that be true, if the pipe is acceable?

sk8 pipe repair

Did the insulation get wet in the chimney pipe?

Why would the fireplace need replacement too? Is there rust damage?

Did the insulation get wet in the chimney pipe?

Why would the fireplace need replacement too? Is there rust damage?
I believe sk8 is air cooled so no insulation.

I was given this picture showing the defect??? and was told that older SK8 isn't compatible with new SK8
and the firebox is also only compatible with the old style SK8. there is no other damage. If seal is lost at this joint, is there a way to reseal the area rather than replace everything?

sk8 pipe repair

I think you're right, the online info was wrong on efireplaces website unless the new product has changed.

Last edited:
The stuff is total junk. That “defect” was there since install most likely. It’s likely the new pipe won’t fit together much better. We have a terrible time getting the joints together properly. Do yourself a favor, if you replace the system go with a high efficiency unit that uses insulated double wall pipe.

Reactions: bholler