Sizing my new stove properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscusmcvet

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2010
NC
I am in the process of purchasing an new stove. Local friend owns hardware store and carries buck stoves, so I will be purchasing a buck. Heated area details:

1100 square feet
Well insulated
central NC
Will be main heat source
free standing
centrally located in space
exposed pipe

Info on websites is confusing as size of stoves do not match heating capacity, etc... Here are my current four options, in no particular order:

Model 18 heats up to 1200 sq. feet
Model 21 heats 800 to 1800 square feet (although is physically smaller tha model 18)
Model 81 heats 1500 to 2700 square feet
Discontinued model - Townsend III - cast iron, heats 800 to 1800 square feet.

More detail here:

(broken link removed to http://www.buckstove.com/wood.html)

What are the pros and cons of going with the more powerful model 81 and burning at a lower rate to suit the size of the heated space? For the sake of this discussion let's say that the price is all the same.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first post.

John

From what I hear from Cat stove users, they oversize and burn low and looooong. I dont know if they rate them by cubic foot of firebox, but I would guess you'd wanna be in the 2.0-2.3 cubic foot range.

Welcome aboard, John! In browsing the website, note the firebox size to get a better idea of heating capacity. I would suggest something between 1.5 and 2.5 cu ft. The 18 is a little small IMHO for a full-time heater.The other stoves should work, but you might also consider a catalytic model, like the 20, since your house is small and well-insulated. It might offer you a little more control of the heat in milder weather.

I don't know squat about Buck Stoves...But...I do own several Buck Knives.
So I feel qualified to say.

WELCOME TO HEARTH. COM.

The Buck Boys will be here shortly, after they sober-up and will be able to help you.

In the Buck line I'd be looking at their catalytic model 20, 1.9cu ft, especially if the intent is to heat 24/7. In non-cat I like the 21 better, but that is just a personal preference. Is the Buck line all your friend sells?

Be Green, I never used the Buck cat stoves. Will that 1.9 foot firebox go overnight with enough coals to relight splits?

Nor I Franks. They are mostly a east coast phenomenon. I do know a 2 cu ft Pacific Energy Super 27 will do this easily with softwood and no cat. I'd certainly expect the Buck cat to meet or exceed this performance and would expect the Buck to be better at a long, low burn when temps are milder outside.

BeGreen said:
In the Buck line I'd be looking at their catalytic model 20, 1.9cu ft, especially if the intent is to heat 24/7. In non-cat I like the 21 better, but that is just a personal preference. Is the Buck line all your friend sells?

Yes he only sells Buck. A true salt of the earth guy whom I gladly give my business to. Rock solid.

We are leaning towards the discontinued Townsend III model. Middle of the road heating wise as far as output, but cast iron and attractive, which helps with wifey :=) It is Non Catalytic which I prefer.

I appreciate the responses and the welcomes to the board. I expect to be dropping in regularly.

John

We are having the hearth modified today to accept any of the stoves we have looked at. Wet day here in NC, so the mason is happy to have inside work to tackle.

Just to follow up. We pulled the trigger on the Buck Townsend III. This is their discontinued cast iron stove. Wife and I had to compromise, but that is the way of things, is it not?

We extended our hearth to fit the stove. A local mason did a great job at it, looks original and since we had most of the materials only ran me $125. Once that dried we picked up the stove. The store owner loaded it on my trailer with his forklift. All I can say is Thank God for my 15 year old son, who is a strong beast... wrestler, football player. At 560 pounds the two of us moved the stove from the trailer (using a 4 wheel dolly) into the house. There we uncrated it from the metal shipping cage. He and I lifted the stove up onto the hearth and got it set.

Later that day my wife and I hooked up the pipe , took 2 90 degree turns to get it right on. We did 2 low intensity burns (ber the manual) and we are off and running. We have had nights in the mid 20's since then and house is toasty, without being too hot (OK, I got it too warm in there once!!!) and I am hitting an overnight burn at about 6.5 hours. At that point stove is still hot to touch and has hot coals enough left to toss in some kindling, open the air vent, get flame and load wood.

So far I am quite satisfied. I have the usual PIP (Post Investment Paranoia), but I ain't moving that stove again!

Thanks for your comments.

John

Sounds nice, congrats - any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.