Single popping sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lopilogbuster

Jan 23, 2021
Kentucky
I have a Lopi Cape Cod cast iron stove. I have used several wood stoves up the hollers of Kentucky over the years. I’m familiar with the heating and cooling sounds of stove heating or cooling, and the sounds of logs making popping sounds. The lone single pop sound I hear is coming from the stove itself, and is always several minutes apart. It always comes from the same side of the stove. It happens even if the firebox is at a steady temp. Any ideas what this can be?

Metal expansion near a welded joint?

Metal expansion near a welded joint?
I think it must be something like that. The one thing with that is it also does it when the firebox temp is steady. If it is, should it be a concern? And it seems it would be difficult to pin point it. And is it fixable if that issue could be pin pointed? I know it’s not the wood, and it’s not the same sounds of stove heating or cooling.

Is the Cape Cod a tube burner? My Lopi Freedom was, and was VERY heavily constructed. I found that the network of box tubes up the back and forward along the top were all cracked at the welds. They were pretty stout and I think they were stainless. I'd wondered if the filler and parent material were poorly matched, as the welds looked like they just came off the tube. Anyway, the stove did a fair amount of popping. I think there was a decent amount of movement in those box tubes.

I have a Lopi Cape Cod cast iron stove. I have used several wood stoves up the hollers of Kentucky over the years. I’m familiar with the heating and cooling sounds of stove heating or cooling, and the sounds of logs making popping sounds. The lone single pop sound I hear is coming from the stove itself, and is always several minutes apart. It always comes from the same side of the stove. It happens even if the firebox is at a steady temp. Any ideas what this can be?
just today, my lopi endeavor made a single really loud pop/ping noise. crazy loud- steady heat, door had been closed for an hour. we've only had it for a month. makes me wonder!