Simpson masonry thimble expansion questions (with pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarbonNeutral

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
Nashoba Valley(ish), MA
Ok, liner arrived - Simpson oval rigid. I am using an expandable masonry thimble to penetrate a thin non-combustible wall - the thimble’s pictured below.

Two questions:

1. The shiny section slips over the thimble, providing the length expansion from 7.25” to 10” (per manual). However, when it’s near the 10” limit (which is what I need), it just flops around as the thimble has a slightly conical shape to it. How do I create a smoke-tight seal on that?

2. The other end of the shiny bit allegedly fits into the tee - it will slide in, but the shiny section has little tabs sticking out. There are no corresponding channels on the tee - presumably I just push hard and the tabs provide tightness and make it difficult for the shiny section and tee to be separated?

Thanks.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Simpson masonry thimble expansion questions (with pic)
    fire 002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 365
Are you coming through a wood frmed wall?

Daryl said:
Are you coming through a wood frmed wall?

Nope, non-combustible, just using the thimble to give a clean look on the outside

I believe the shiny part is supposed to be mortared in, FYI. We use simpson pipe but I have never used one of those. I imagine if you slightly crimp the mortar sleeve (shiny part) the black pipe would fit better. As far as the snap rings go... not sure what those are for.

Have you read the install instructions for the duraliner and duraflex?
http://www.duravent.com/?page=ts.php

Sometimes I have found you have to look at both instructions when dealing with some of the less common products. Obviously the rigid oval pipe will be in the duraliner directions, but the other part might be a "duraflex" component and have instructions in the other guide.

jtp10181 said:
I believe the shiny part is supposed to be mortared in, FYI. We use simpson pipe but I have never used one of those. I imagine if you slightly crimp the mortar sleeve (shiny part) the black pipe would fit better. As far as the snap rings go... not sure what those are for.

Have you read the install instructions for the duraliner and duraflex?
http://www.duravent.com/?page=ts.php

Sometimes I have found you have to look at both instructions when dealing with some of the less common products. Obviously the rigid oval pipe will be in the duraliner directions, but the other part might be a "duraflex" component and have instructions in the other guide.

i have read the duravent - I will look at the other - great suggestion.

I'm thinking mortar....

Is all high temp mortar the same, or should I look for a particular brand?

This was the response from Simpson:
No need to seal this joint but you can screw the sleeves together with ss screws.

I just don't buy that - even with screws there with be 1/8" gaps all around - there's no way I'm going to all that effort and expense to have an insulated liner then have cold air infiltration.

I have one of those in my basement crock. After I got it all installed I reached in and filled the space with furnace cement. Dried like a rock and shows no sign of leaking after several chimney cleanings.

Brother Bart, coming up with the goods again.

Thanks. Sorted.

A screw or two would not hurt anything either...

CTwoodburner said:
A screw or two would not hurt anything either...
There will be two, or three, and SS at that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.